Tuning tips: Nitrous injection kits

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Nitrous has many names, the most popular is NoS which is actually a brand. Dinitrous Monoxide is the chemical name but for the purpose of this article we shall refer to it as nitrous. We will explore how it works and the various setup options available and see what this does for performance. We understand [...]
More...

What do you think of this tip then, read the article and post your comments in here.

"Nitrous is a highly flammable gas"
Ohh dear, me thinks I see an error

"Under current UK legislation you are not able to run a car with 2 forms of fuel"

Nitrous is not a fuel, it is just a means of "supercharging"

so cars with petrol or LPT are illigal in the uk?

It is a good idea to have a fogger which vents nitrous to the outside of a car. This is a good way of clearing the nitrous lines.

fogger is a type of nitrous injector, you mean purge

Last edited:
claymore is right, a fogger is the nozzle that sprays the mixture of fuel & nitrous into the individual cylinders, a much more efficient way of introducing the nitrous to the engine as apposed the the single injector in the air intake.............

if the kit is fitted correctly then there will be no problem, its when you get amateurs fitting them and you start to hear horror stories about running the engine too lean and blowing it up..........

fit it right and forget lol, apart from the nitrous filters in the pulsoids!!

go to this link to see what the pro's say www.noswizard.com

UK law states that you can't use 2 types of fuel AT THE SAME TIME. So petrol and LPG are fine together as you use one or the other but not both at the same time.

Under European legislation, nitrous is classified as a fuel!!! Shows just how much they know about the subject :)

The person who wrote this article doesn't know his subject, or science, very well.

Many local authorities use CNG/LPG and diesel simultaneously in refuse collection vehicles. CNG and LPG are both fuels.

Dinitrous oxide, as OG states, is NOT A FUEL.

Many local authorities use CNG/LPG and diesel simultaneously in refuse collection vehicles. CNG and LPG are both fuels.

Dinitrous oxide, as OG states, is NOT A FUEL.

I can find data on converting diesal engines to run on CNG/LPG but nothing on using CNG/LPG and diesel simultaneously. Can you point me in the right direction?

I find it hard to believe, as this was illegal the last time I checked.

Once again thanks for the input, keep the comments coming and the article will be updted.

One point though, "nitrous is a flammable gas" - whats wrong with that statement? I thought this was the whole point.

Also is it illegal to use nitrous on the streets in the UK.

I don't think it's illigal to use, it's just a myth. and as pgarner said n2o is not flammable, it's just the extra oxygen, it's no different to a supercharger

I can find data on converting diesal engines to run on CNG/LPG but nothing on using CNG/LPG and diesel simultaneously. Can you point me in the right direction?

I find it hard to believe, as this was illegal the last time I checked.

I, too, find it hard to believe, despite the fact that LPG/CNG can ramp up the fuel efficiency of compression ignition engines.

Last edited:
One point though, "nitrous is a flammable gas" - whats wrong with that statement? I thought this was the whole point.

Also is it illegal to use nitrous on the streets in the UK.

Think of nitrous just as concentrated air. If air was flammable we would have nothing to breathe :)

The oxygen in air and nitrous allows combustion to occur. The two main advantages of nitrous over air are that it contains nearly twice as much oxygen and releases said oxygen more easily.

Nitrous use is on the highway is a tad confusing. Under UK law it is not illegal. However, under EU regulations it is as it is classed as a fuel and UK law states that you cannot use two fuels simultaneously. Confusing? Yes. However, you can get insurance companies to cover you for its use on UK roads so where does that leave us? I have no idea :)

At the moment I am not bothered as I have more than enough conventional power to be getting on with - but I do have a system on the shelf :)

Nitrous doesn't give you any more speed, it just allows you to accelerate faster. I've declared my kit to my insurance and they didn't bat an eyelid at it, even when the Police have stopped me they weren't bothered by it. I even mentioned it to the copper that stopped me and he said "As long as it's declared and you aren't using it above the speed limit I don't have a problem, you can accelerate as fast as you like so long as you stop at the limit." Seems fair enough to me.

"Nitrous is a highly flammable gas"

Also I smoke and if you light a cigarette and spray nitrous directly from the bottle on to the cigarette it puts it out immediately. The only time it becomes volatile is when there is a spark...... Then it goes BOOM :)

2 parts of the N2O gas won't burn(that'd be the 2 nitrogen molecules) however the third will(that'd be the oxygen bit). The nitrogen side is the controlling part of the mixture, otherwise we'd be putting pure oxygen(the burning bit) in to the engine and that would give you a huge combustion along with a massive amount of acceleration for all of about >< that long!!

And to think I never even paid attention in school!!

Oxgen does not burn. Thankyou MA.

When Nitrous Oxide is heated in decomposes exothermally into N2 and O2. Oxygen is required for combustion and it's this oxygen 'hit' which speeds up the fire and thus increases the cylinder BMEP. The nitrogen is spent purely as nitrogen.

Ever put a glass over a lit candle and wondered why the flame goes out? Or smoothered a burning chip pan with a wet cloth cutting of any air getting to it and wondered why the fire went out??

Ever put a glass over a lit candle and wondered why the flame goes out? Or smoothered a burning chip pan with a wet cloth cutting of any air getting to it and wondered why the fire went out??

I have done both of these but I know full well why the fire went out. What are you trying to say?

No, no you are all perfectly correct. Nitrous oxide will not burn or explode no matter what you do to it, nor will oxygen under ANY circumstances. The alleged horse power from feeding any amount of "NOS" in to an engine is obviously a placebo effect. Once you fit the kit to your vehicle you immediately become convinced the vehicle is faster because Hollywood tells us so. However the reality is that no performance gains happen and everyone who has ever claimed otherwise is obviously wrong.

No, no you are all perfectly correct. Nitrous oxide will not burn or explode no matter what you do to it, nor will oxygen under ANY circumstances. The alleged horse power from feeding any amount of "NOS" in to an engine is obviously a placebo effect. Once you fit the kit to your vehicle you immediately become convinced the vehicle is faster because Hollywood tells us so. However the reality is that no performance gains happen and everyone who has ever claimed otherwise is obviously wrong.
you gain power becaus you are injecting more petrol into the engine, all the nitrous is doing is injecting more oxygen for the petrol to burn

Nitrous Oxide does increase power output enormously. Under combustion chamber conditions (ie. high temperature) it decomposes into oxygen (O2) molecules and N2 (nitrogen). Oxygen atoms cannot exist singly, although they can bond singly to other atoms and molecules. This depends upon the valency of the elements concerned.

This additional oxygen provokes vastly quicker burning of the fuel mixture and to avoid an excessive rise in temperature more fuel has to be added. What NOS effectively does is to provide additional oxygen to the A/F mix. (The nitrogen plays no part in the combustion process but if combustion temperatures are too high then it can react with hydrocarbon compounds, or even with fuel additive packages.) NOS does pretty much what supercharging does but it's done chemically rather than by compressing air mechanically.

The applications are radically different, however.

I think you need to go and re-read some of your basic chemistry.

The only time it becomes volatile is when there is a spark...... Then it goes BOOM :)

Sorry, but this is not correct. There is nothing to go BOOM! Nitrous is never volatile. You have to add a fuel for there to be ignition.

Nitrous doesn't give you any more speed, it just allows you to accelerate faster. I've declared my kit to my insurance and they didn't bat an eyelid at it, even when the Police have stopped me they weren't bothered by it. I even mentioned it to the copper that stopped me and he said "As long as it's declared and you aren't using it above the speed limit I don't have a problem, you can accelerate as fast as you like so long as you stop at the limit." Seems fair enough to me.

Actually, you can be prosecuted for excessive acceleration.

Actually, you can be prosecuted for excessive acceleration.

Really? Surely that's not a specific offence as well now?

If excessive acceleration leads to a degradation in vehicle control and thus provokes a dangerous situation then a driving WO DC&A charge might be applied but surely not just hair-brained jackrabbit straight line acceleration?

Really? Surely that's not a specific offence as well now?

If excessive acceleration leads to a degradation in vehicle control and thus provokes a dangerous situation then a driving WO DC&A charge might be applied but surely not just hair-brained jackrabbit straight line acceleration?

Correct, there is not a specific offence of excessive acceleration, it will be undue car and attention, not in full control, dangerous driving, driving in such a manner as to endanger other road users, etc. There are many ways you can be got.

The totally ironic thing is, he has nitrous fitted in that Hyundai thing FLOL!

I'll bet my left testicle it's not working properly though, or to full effect.

You were too quick off the mark MA (excessive acceleration?). I wrote the reply then read that davsurfa had nirtrous fitted to his car so I deleted my reply. I am guessing now that he was having a joke and I missed it :)

Correct, there is not a specific offence of excessive acceleration, it will be undue car and attention, not in full control, dangerous driving, driving in such a manner as to endanger other road users, etc. There are many ways you can be got.

That's fair enough because that leaves us coherent drivers out there with many ways to present a reasonable roadside defence. But if we choose to drive about looking like morons then we're likely to get clobbered.

I doubt they'd bother too much about a slight chirp from a driven wheel as the driver lets in the clutch slightly enthusiastically during a hurried take off into a busy roundabout.