tuning tips for a 1.8ts Alfa Romeo 156 Sport Wagon 2002

davesmithh

i am relatively new to this site.. so please bear with me !

I have an alfa 156 1,8 twin spark sport wagon 2002 model.

The car has done 75k and has been serviced regularly etc... it is in top condition.

I am looking to add a few more horses to the engine as the car is a little sluggish. I am on a budget and was looking at an ecu piggy back chip. I am told that they can add about 10 - 20 extra horsepower.

Does any one have any suggestions --- also will a k&N performance air filter increase the engines power by much.

thanks

wouldnt think a piggyback would add that much to a nasp engine youd prob be looking at around 8-10 bhp

a high quality panel filter will give a couple of bhp but nothing much, 1 - 3 bhp if your lucky slightly more if you drill the airbox as well.
a induction kit will give slightly more but you may lose some low down power.

good stainless exhaust and sports cat will yield some more power for you

fuel pressure reg is also another good idea

then do internal work sports cams are a good idea but can be slightly £££

NA engines are hard to tune economically, by which I mean that you have to spend quite a lot of money for modest torque and power gains.

I'm not really a fan of pggyback ECU's either as most of these work by mis reporting INPUT data to the car's ECU thereby forcing it to overfuel the engine in a very haphazard way. Far better to remap the car's ECU and control things directly.

Either way I reckon you'll only see 6-8bhp increase and again only at high revs. A good remap might smooth out the power delivery across the range a little though.

You're generally better off with a diesel if you have a hunger for easily accessible power and tunability.

The best things you can do as PG suggests are sports cams and fuel pressure regulator (FSE boost valve). A sports cat will give you a few more bhp as well but these can cost a fortune!

Oh and welcome to TorqueCars DaveSmith its good to have another starting out on a car tuning project.

i might just start with a k&n filter.. then try a piggy back chip see wot difference that makes...

need to save for the performance exhaust i think !

at the moment the car is completely standard.... and it seems quite sluggish.... it gets to 80 - 90 no probs but struggle to hit 100. Once it get to 100 it will creep to 120.

the book sez it shud be hitting 60 in about 9 and topping 130mph. Are they lying lol.... i had the car serviced, a new exhaust has been fitted, do you think new plugs would improve performance? bearing in mind that this is a twin spark engine will i need to fit 8 spark plugs ?

Aerodynamic forces come into play and make progress above 100mph really slow. The engine is under a lot of stress too. I've seen engines blow when pushed flat out for too long. I'm presuming you'd dropped to 4th gear for this off road speed test :)

Twin spark engines will need 8 plugs. It is a clever system, they fire one after the other on the power stroke increasing compression as the flame front travels across the combustion chamber. The second spark fires slightly later right in the extra compressed mix. This ensures a much cleaner burn as there is less unburnt fuel in the exhaust.

Hi Hdi
just to ask you,abouth supercharger kit to put on 1.8 ts on my alfa 145.on net i found its possible,but how much cost this supercharger and what name and type of supercharger.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Hdi
just to ask you,abouth supercharger kit to put on 1.8 ts on my alfa 145.on net i found its possible,but how much cost this supercharger and what name and type of supercharger.

Kure, google AutoDelta. If they don't have anything listed on their site, they will be able to put something together for you.