Tuning tips: Fast road cams for everyday use.

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
#!The camshaft is located at the top of the engine and looks like a metal bar with egg shaped lobes on it.#! The shape and size of the lobe determines the amount of time that the#!heads valves are open, and the amount they are open. The valves allow the mixture of fuel and air into [...]
More...

What do you think of this tip then, read the article and post your comments in here.

Just a quick query, to get the terms right;

"When fitting cams always get new followers lifters and springs or at least check these components for wear."

By "Followers" do they mean the valve guides?

And by " Lifters" do they mean the rockers?

Sorry about sounding inane....... :D

Just a quick query, to get the terms right;
"When fitting cams always get new followers lifters and springs or at least check these components for wear."
By "Followers" do they mean the valve guides?
And by " Lifters" do they mean the rockers?
Sorry about sounding inane....... :D

Followers/lifters are the items that the cam shaft lobes push against and they should ALWAYS be changed when replacing the camshaft.

If the new cam is 'mild' then the standard valve springs will probably be OK. Any wilder and new, stiffer, springs are usually required.

There's a dichotomy here. Fast road cams for everyday usage.

If fast road cams worked for everyday usage then car makers would fit them anyway.

Why do you think that so many cars have variable valve timing systems?

Why do you think that Honda's V-TEC system engages at a certain point in the rev band and not earlier?

If high valve lift and long valve dwell angles worked for all conditions then there would be no need for such systems.

Cars are made for the masses so are a compromise in many areas, engine tuning/mapping being one of the main areas.

A fast road cam, at least in my day, was a reasonably mild affair (range went something like - road, fast road. road/rally. road/race, race, full race, etc) that gave more ummph higher up the rev range without affecting low end torque too much (cams usually 'come in' at higher RPMs). No good for granny going to the shops but fine for grandson zipping down to the pub.

Therefore I see no problem with using a fast road cam for everyday use for some drivers.

I ended up going through Dave Newman's complete range for my Twin Cam up to his full race units. Driving technique had to change but with a good setup I was still able to use the car as my only car but it was difficult for others to drive. You can get used to most things if the incentive is there.

Last edited: