Tuning tips: Engine Swaps

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
One of the best value modifications has to be an engine swap. Tuning a small engine will only ever give small returns for your investment. There is a plentiful supply of engines from your local breakers or salvage yards and with most makes and models can be a simple modification. When doing an engine swap [...]
More...

What do you think of this tip then, read the article and post your comments in here.

I think that pretty much covers it I reckon, but something to note as well that some engines from different manufactures will fit in other cars than there own, yes they can be few and far between but sometimes it is worth the extra effort of finding them as they can reap excellent results,

I would like to see something like an Astra G with a Saab 2.3T HOT in it, I reckon that could fit...

I'd like to add that both suspension and brakes need to be uprated to match the new engine.
]

Generally yes. But some makers fit the biggest brakes possible across the range anyway.

For example:- @ Prince - your 320i will have the same brake setup as the 323i/325i/328i will have so there's no need to concern yourself in your situation if you were to fit a larger engine.

Rover were buggers for fitting the smallest brakes they could get away with. Vauxhall, likewise, did a similar thing.

]

Generally yes. But some makers fit the biggest brakes possible across the range anyway.

For example:- @ Prince - your 320i will have the same brake setup as the 323i/325i/328i will have so there's no need to concern yourself in your situation if you were to fit a larger engine.

Rover were buggers for fitting the smallest brakes they could get away with. Vauxhall, likewise, did a similar thing.

It's a 318is mate. But it does have the same brakes as a 328i. However, the suspension isn't the same as the 4 pot I have is much lighter than the 6 pots.

I know from my Honda days that if you upgraded the engine, you upgraded the brakes and suspension to as well.

I suppose it's all part of the research that MUST be done prior to the swap.

The E39 I have is even more diverse. The V8 models still use recirculating ball steering. The six cylinder ones (which I have) were the first BMWs (certainly the first 5 series ones) to use rack and pinion steering.

Last edited:
Jarrus: -"I wonder why that is then?

I always thought that BMW were always at the cutting edge...
"

BMW is rarely at the cutting edge of new technology. The Bavarians are very good at adopting technology developed by others and making it work properly and reliably. The Japanese makers are very similar.

France is the country that innovates new vehicle technology above all others.

OK, they don't always make the best quality cars in terms of build quality - Renault being a strong case to support my statement.

In an ideal world I'd like to order a new Citroen C6 and send it to Munich and have it taken apart and re-assembled to Bavarian standards of excellence before it was delivered to me.

I can believe that,

All the best stuff comes about like that,

Someone invents it and people deside its crap then someone else remakes the idea but better then all of a sudden it's brilliant.

Sounds a lot like us the British, we invented almost everything and now everyone else does it better....