Tuning tips: Engine Balancing and Blueprinting tips.

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Think of an engine as a series of metal components moving at great speed changing direction frequently.#! The faster the speed of the engine the greater the vibration and forces encountered.#! There is a limit to how fast and engine can goes safely, and manufacturers set this red line and include a Rev limiter. Disruptions, [...]
More...

What do you think of this tip then, read the article and post your comments in here.

Sound about right,

but something to note is that the cars ability to rev higher after a full blue print and balance but the car won't necessarily make any more useable power due to the limitations of the cam and intake and exhaust and also the turbocharger/supercharger if the car is equipped with one, they were designed to work best in a certain RPM range, so it makes sence to upgrade those items first then rebuild and blueprint the engine after if it needs to be...

Also a question to those who will know the answer or at least make and eductated guess....

Say if I wanted to cryogenicly treat my engine and also balance/blueprint it, what order should the process be performed?

The cryo treatment smooths the metal surface so it should be done last. You'll still get a stronger engine with a cryo regardless of when it is done but it makes sense to wait and get the full benefit of your outlay.

Make sence I guess, Because balancing an engine the componants would have to be altered in some way where as cryo doesn't add or take way anything.

Engine balancing is always good, although the net benefit depends upon how well balanced the engine is at the factory.

I've known people get 180bhp and over 8500rpm from mid 1960's Austin A series motors. This is obviously with many other extensive mods and the cars are not really drivable on the road but just goes to show what can be achieved.

The cryo treatment smooths the metal surface so it should be done last. You'll still get a stronger engine with a cryo regardless of when it is done but it makes sense to wait and get the full benefit of your outlay.

Waynne I think you are almost certainly incorrect in stating that "cyro smooths the metal surface"
Cyro changes the metallurgy and makes it stronger not smoother.
FWIW i have had my gearbox and drive shafts cyroed to strengthen them.
http://www.cryoplus.com/advantages.php

Last edited: