Tuning tips: Carbon fibre driveshafts

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
The driveshaft takes the power from the engine and takes this to the rear diff where it is transferred to the wheels. The driveshaft rotates at a fair rate and will to some extent act like a flywheel, resisting change in the rotational speed. A carbon fibre driveshaft has the following benefits. It is much [...]
More...

What do you think of this tip then, read the article and post your comments in here.

Call me old fashioned but I thought they were propshafts? Would be interested in how the whole assembly would be suited for the universal joints and slide fit with splines into the gerabox output end. I am assuming that it is just the shaft section that is carbon fibre?

surely if the prop were to be shock loaded, it would splinter? if made of CF i mean.... :confused:

No. it doesn't. In fact, they flex quite well, reducing the shock loading on diff and gearbox. They are just VERY expensive.

Anyone see that program Hammond did the other day about F1 engineering? They twisted a big steel driveshaft and it just collapsed and twisted at a certain nm, then they did the same with a CF one and it twisted then snapped and splitterred at something like 3 times the force the steel on did IIRC. Good show!

would you not be "slower" off the line then if there is more flex to be taken up before it begins to turn the wheels? i know we're talking nano seconds here, but don't they pay millions just to shave a second off?

i guess, what is the deal with CF anyway, i mean some people say looks, others lightweight etc, but in reality, track or road use, what performance benefits does it have?

same thickness is 3 times the strength of steel and a hell of alot lighter.

every kg counts on the track as it increases you bhp/ton and handling.

road use most is just for looks

same thickness is 3 times the strength of steel and a hell of alot lighter.

every kg counts on the track as it increases you bhp/ton and handling.

road use most is just for looks

cheers dude! as i suspected!
CF people carrier thread anyone? haha! dream on! i can't afford to fuel the thing at the moment!

If you have a serious track or drag car then there will be an improvement - if only in the weight reduction

BTW serious means you dont bother to find out the cost before ordering it cos if you do then you dont need it.

If you have a serious track or drag car then there will be an improvement - if only in the weight reduction

BTW serious means you dont bother to find out the cost before ordering it cos if you do then you dont need it.

Sorry, but can't agree with that. The drag racing classes are full of serious racers. None of them has limitless resourses so they all have to operate on a budget.

I consider myself to be very serious about what I want to achieve. However, there are many things I would like to do (and would do if ERNIE comes up with the finances), but can't because of budget retraints. Lack of funds does not make a racer any less serious.

In fact, I would agrue that having to work within a budget makes you more seriously minded as you have to make many difficult choices and compromises.

With regard to the advantages of CF props, they are the reduction in weight and shock loading to the transmission (the main reason for gearbox, prop, diff and driveshaft failures).

I would love to have a CF prop, but can't afford the over £2k price tag (at the moment). Does that make me a less serious racer?

would you not be "slower" off the line then if there is more flex to be taken up before it begins to turn the wheels? i know we're talking nano seconds here, but don't they pay millions just to shave a second off?

The small flex in the CF prop reduces the shock loading to the transmision and tyres, thereby reducing the likelyhood of transmision failure and givng the tyres a better chance of hooking up. Tyres don't like sudden movements, either in acceleration, deceleration or cornering, so the smoother the take up the better the tyres will work.

As for safety, a CF prop won't try to get at you through the floor in the event of a failure, it will simply disintegrate :)

Sorry, but can't agree with that. The drag racing classes are full of serious racers. None of them has limitless resourses so they all have to operate on a budget.

I consider myself to be very serious about what I want to achieve. However, there are many things I would like to do (and would do if ERNIE comes up with the finances), but can't because of budget retraints. Lack of funds does not make a racer any less serious.

In fact, I would agrue that having to work within a budget makes you more seriously minded as you have to make many difficult choices and compromises.

With regard to the advantages of CF props, they are the reduction in weight and shock loading to the transmission (the main reason for gearbox, prop, diff and driveshaft failures).

I would love to have a CF prop, but can't afford the over £2k price tag (at the moment). Does that make me a less serious racer?

Couldn't agree more there OG.

Those with pots of money buy every mod going and don't know why they have them fitted, it's keeping up with the Jones's. I pick and choose what I do as I am on a very tight budget, but in doing so I am honing my driving skills to get what I can out of the car. The gradual mods are done when I find a particular element needs enhancing, not because it is a must have. There is a list of things I want but cannot justify them due to cost and I question would I actually benefit from them at this time? If not then I compromise, just like you have said.

Now if we were funded and sponsored then yes we could probably afford such things, but we are still responsible for funding the majorityof the project and getting a return for any sponsorship.

*Note to self, buy a lottery ticket*