tuning TDi Golf MK4 for economy and torque

Griff

Car
Griffith 4.3
which is best MK4 variant for tuning potential and cruising economy

I am targetting a fun level of torque whilst maintaining level throttle motorway cruise economy c 70 mpg - happy to improve airbox and rear silencer + fit larger circumference tyres to reduce cruise revs using enhanced torque

Incidentally what other sub £3k car would you consider for such a project? - I see the Site opening page features another car i was considering, the 406 TDi Pug - is this a better option and why?

I read your posts in the wrong order! Sorry, welcome to TorqueCars its good to have you along. Another one for the Diesel heads fan club;)

The GTTdi is a great candidate for mapping and tuning, not sure though if they are in the price band though. Its the best TDi engine for remapping in a mass produced car IMHO. (I know someone on here will probably disagree with that!)

just make sure you get the 130 engine TDi if your after a mix of both power and economy, 150 engines TDI seem to be fragile and break more often for some reason.

HDi will e the man to ask about the pug as its his but i dont think he will be getting 70mpg as its a heavy car

I have a friend with the 150 engine and he had it remapped to 190 with no ill effects. He did need a tougher clutch but still manages to get really good MPG out of it.

A lot depends on how you treat them. When any engine is remapped I would recommend a shorter 6-8000 mile service interval. Also use the correct grade of good quality oil.

What torque can be reliably extracted from the Pug and the Golf MK4 variants?

Also interested in max torque available from X Type 2.0 D as having driven one< I was surprised at its std performance (good!)

HDI & I have answered your questions in their respective topics. I guess you are having trouble making your mind up? I'm not surprised as all are very credible cars to play with. Where are you at in your deliberations at the moment?

HDI & I have answered your questions in their respective topics. I guess you are having trouble making your mind up? I'm not surprised as all are very credible cars to play with. Where are you at in your deliberations at the moment?

...bewildered..time to take a break from pc..!

Sorry mate, that didn't make a lot of sense- especially if you read the posts in reverse order!

I was just saying that we have answered this question in other threads for you. :D

Which have you decided on getting?