Tuning my VW Golf TSI 1.4 2010

golfie

Car
VW Golf 1.4 TSI
I'm a newbie in mods car, n maybe stupid if u wanna say it cos i never do anything related to moding car. But after i got this car, my spirit for moding my car is burning !!! :evil::twisted::!:
So i really need advise bout moding my car. Does anyone have mods this car ?? or im just standing alone here ??:sad2::(:confused:

I would start by replacing your air filter with a performance panel version, so that the car will breath better. Your factory filter comes out and the performance panel filter drops in.
Change your exhaust system to something a little more free flowing as the standard system is quite restrictive. After you have done this, then seek out a reliable tuner in your country who can remap your ECU to release even more power! Good Luck ;)

Remap on these is definately the way to go mate, you can have GTI power with the smaller more economical engine :)

Obviously exhaust is also good, but VAG engines do tend to have restrictive induction systems so it's worth looking at replacing it :)

wow thx you guys for the repliess:grin:
so i assume Force induction right ?? change the filter so the engine could breathe more :amuse:
remapping ECU seem a good idea, just wait for the money :D

But is there a specific thread about TSI 1.4 160 HP ? or i just stick to the general articles about mods the engine ? sorry if a ask again :p

I've not got round to a detailed article on the 1.4TFSI - it's just a question of it getting old enough for the weak spots to show.

Is it the twin charged version? If so a remap is the one top mod for it. An overdrive pulley can be added to drive the supercharger harder and give more low down power.

The best mods for a car engine are as follows.
Internal work yields the biggest gains, head work like porting polishing and 3 angle valve jobs will maximise the airflow and raise the power.

If you want to go to the max then cryo treat the block, get it rebored and look into blueprinting and balancing as well.

Bigger valves are an obvious addon but not all engines are suitable as it depends how close together the OEM valves are.

A fast road cam will yield good power gains, especially in the top end of the rev range. Don't go mad though a profile of up to 270 degrees will give the best gains without the engine becoming cammy.

The most popular power mods are induction kits (which are questionable as power mods but they can sound nice if that is your sort of thing) and sports exhausts with sports catalysts or decats.

To keep the car legal I'd recommend a sports catalyst rather than a decat.
The last mod should always be a remap as this will allow you to fully realise the power gains on offer from your mods. Turbo cars respond very well to remaps.

It's worth having a read of the articles on www.torquecars.com/tuning/ for more information on these mods and what the terms mean.

@prince : thx u for the info ;)
waynne : i think i wont do porting polishing, im a lil bit scared bout this :sad2:
head work really complicated so i wont go there. But if we talk about exhaust and remapping, that sound interesting. I think i will go there. I should start to collect money bro !!!
thx you waynee :mrgreen:

I think the main thing you'll notice on the remap as well as the extra power is the smooth transition from Supercharger to Turbo (or rather you won't notice it anymore!)

@HDi fun : yess it will and will be more powerful with the exhaust:mrgreen:
waynee : (or rather you won't notice it anymore!)<<< love this statement :toung:

True, they are a great engine for remapping a tweaking due to the fact they have both a turbo and a supercharger, skys the limit really for power.

@HDi fun : yess it will and will be more powerful with the exhaust:mrgreen:
waynee : (or rather you won't notice it anymore!)<<< love this statement :toung:
I'm sure the VAG group could have made the transition a little smoother. I've heard that these engines can be remapped to 200bhp, not bad for a 1.4 at all.

o yeahh a GTI Jr. :toung: !!! hahaha

yes i think i still have to drive it like a 1.4 to get the economy :sad2:

Hi
Just joined the site today after using the excellent mpg calculator. I thought that my 2010 1.4s Golf,(which I purchased last month), was heavy on the petrol. Turned out that I was getting 47.36 mpg which I am very pleased with.
However, I think in hindsight, I should have opted for either a diesel,(cover 200 miles per week), or 1.4tsi, which has a much higher bhp. My 80bhp seems to lack oomph!
I was interested in this term remapping and wonder if anyone can kindly answer the following:-
1.What exactly is remapping?
2. Is it expensive and can a competent garage mechanic carry this out?
3. Would it wildly affect my mpg?
Please excuse my ignorance but basically, I suppose, I want to know the implications of such a procedure and while I really like everything about the car, I would like to have a little more confidence when I overtake.
Many thanks in advance, for taking the time to reply.

Greetings Denbo and Welcome to our TorqueCars Forum my Friend!
Good to have you along with us :)

To answer your questions as simply as possible:

1) Remapping is where a skilled practitioner of the black arts explores your car ECU via a special software on a laptop or PC and makes adjustments to the fuel, air delivery, timing, advance or retard the ignition amongst other things to help increase performance and fuel economy. Note: if you have performance and fuel economy tweaked then the performance gains will not be as great as outright performance tuning alone.

2) Expensive depends on who and what facilities the chosen tuning company uses i.e. laptop adjustment alone with tried and tested maps, live mapping on the road, or live mapping done on a rolling road. Prices vary between mates rates £50/60 up to and sometimes beyond £500. There are companies on TC here who are bonafide traders who will be able to do the job for you. They will advise you what is and is not possible with your car. Some garages will only download a specific manufacturers performance software package, so you will have to ask if they do custom or at least what you can expect from the service that they provide.

3) It will only wildly effect your MPG if your car setup is rubbish or in serious need of a service. This fact will only be revealed once the tuners have plugged into your car to discover what it is actually developing. You cannot get huge miles to the gallon and Ferrari performance as well, so strike this Wizard of Oz thought from your dreams!

Note: If you go to have your car remapped then there are some limitations on cars with engines as small as yours! No offence buddy! Speak to the tuners first and see what they have to say, if they can help you then help them by having your car fully serviced first - oil & oil filter, air filter, spark plugs etc. If your car is not in tip top condition then you cannot expect miracles to be performed on your engine and you would have wasted a lot of money for nothing.

Good luck :)

Thanks T9 man for that very detailed and enlightening reply. I realize now that because I have more or less the basic bog standard 1.4 model, there is very little to play with and any gains through remapping would be minimal. The car was fully serviced before I purchased it last month so it should be running at optimum efficiency.
I think I will leave well enough alone and sell it in a couple of years time. It still is a nice car to drive.

Many thanks again.