Tuning my bmw

AndersMH

Car
BMW E46 318i
Hello!

I've been looking on turboing my bmw e46 318i.

And my question is this: is a new ecu really needed for turboing it?

Hi and welcome |B
IMO you will need to research the strength of the factory bottom end as it was not built to be turboed which can increase power to 3 or more times from stock.

You need to understand that by adding boost pressure the cylinder pressures are dramatically increased so that is why I have written the next paragraph :)

Nothing is impossible BUT i would recommend that IF you want serious power from the 1.8 litre motor then IF the car is a daily driver I would buy another motor and build it properly with forged pistons and rods and balance the rotating assembly and have the head recoed and the ports cleaned up and a MLS head gasket clamped to the block with ARP studs.

I have no idea if the factory computer can be modified to allow fine tuning of the fuel and ignition parameters so if not you will need to wire in an aftermarket EMS.

You will also need to upgrade the fuel supply system pump & injectors as more power burns more fuel to prevent the chance or insufficient fuel supply and detonation.

Then take the car to an experienced dyno tuner BEFORE you decide to give it a hard time on the road.

Turboing any motor is not for the feint hearted and it can be expensive as well as addictive