Tuning/modding an old 4G15

Rider

Car
Lancer Fiore 4G15
Hello, forum members!
I'm interested in increasing the power output of a 4G15 engine, non-ECU, carb 1.5 liter (1987/88. Mitsubishi Lancer).
It needs service first, than it should again give 55kW/75HP.
I was thinking of installing a double barrel carburettor and a better-flow exhaust piping. I'm not sure if I'm using the right term - I mean a carb with 2 mixture nozzles, with one engageing in delivering the air-fuel mixture only at higher RPMs.
What are your suggestions?
Also, is it more difficult (and expensive, alas, I can't spend too much on me machine) to turbocharge an engine like this or a newer generation, chip-controlled & fuel injected one?
Here are a few pics;
84666049.jpg

50389807.jpg

64530973.jpg

28098868.jpg

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello buddy and welcome to the forum.
Your post got stuck in the mod queue as you need 10 posts before you can upload pics or links.
I've approved it for you this time and i've changed the links to pics as it makes it easier to view.
Also your not really going to get many gains from your engine. My suggestion would be to save up and get a better base car to modify.

Thx for the welcome and the pics!
I'm somewhat hellbent on getting the car back on the road :) (sentimental).
In my country (Croatia) there's a law that basically says - drivers below the age of 24 may drive cars only below 75kW/102HP; so that's my max output target (otherwise one can't register it). I like the idea of a dual-barrel carb, it seems just enough for a more enjoyable ride, a more dynamic drive, and the engine would have been more efficiently used.
Which carb would you suggest? Did I get the idea of it's functioning right? Should I buy something new or look around at salvage yards?

P.S. About that law, it seems a bit flawed, to say the least. It allows for someone to get a driver's licence at 24 and take a 300HP RWD car out for a spin (or a spin-out, more likely)!

I would look around salvage yards for a cheap twin carb. Clean out the engine head with a grinding wheel (port matching) and this will also lift the performance a bit.

Check the valve lift as well, if this is lower then you will be down on power to start with.

OK! As for the twin carb, does it function like I thought or do both nozzles deliver mixture constantly?

I've got good info on the operation of carburetors now. The two-barell with one being secondary and opening at full throttle configuration is what I'm looking for.