Tuning Everything

L

Lowball7

Hey There!

Well I'm looking to get more involved in the tuning world. Can anyone tell me were I can find a windows based program to tune car with. Is there a package you can buy that comes with all the connectors programs for imports and domestics? Thanks a bunch!

Hi Lowball, welcome to torquecars. The VAGCOM is a good starting base. Nothing is very user friendly and a rolling road is an essential when doing a remap as load, speed, gear and revs will need to be taken into consideration.

Obviously VAGCOM is VW, AUDI, Skoda Seat only.

FUEL

HI ANYONE KNOW HOW TO WORK OUT THE MPG ON CARS. BECAUSE I PUT A TEN POUND IN AND ONLY GOT 34 MILES

If you have put £10 worth of standard unleaded into your car, I'm estimating that it cost around £.90 per litre, then you have put in 11.1 litres of fuel. This is equivalent to 2.4gallons of petrol. 34 divided by 2.4 = 14.1. This is a rough estimate of your miles per gallon (as far as I can tell). I may be drastically wrong but this I how I would work it out. Better to do it will a full tank and measure it from when your light comes on.

If this reading is anywhere close to being true, and you don't drive a V12 monster, you have a leak in your fuel lines. Either that or you are taking the piss.

You should be aiming for 35+MPG so something is going seriously wrong. If the injectors were broken/blocked I wouldn't think you would lose alot in MPG, as the same amount of fuel would go to the injector, it would just not reach the combustion chamber. Although the ECU could possibly try to counter balance this by putting more fuel into the injectors, although I think this is unlikely. Whatever it is, it's in need of serious attention.

Who told you to change the injectors?

I'd get it down to Renault or any garage as soon as you can, as you may literally be pissing your money all over the road!

They would show a mild improvement but sounds like something is really wrong somewhere.. Try measuring your MPG like I said and make sure that my figures are right.

fuel

hi freddie sorry about the delay i filled the tank to top put in 60 litres reset counter waited for light to come on and got 330 miles what would you think

25 Miles Per Gallon, seems alot better than before!! But still it should be closer to 35 really! Do you mostly drive around town, country or motorways?

FUEL

YES FREDDIE I DRIVE MOSTLY AROUND TOWN AND I THOUGH I WOULD GET MORE MILES OUT OF IT. I HAD A 1.4 AND GOT A LOT MORE THAN THAT WOULD YOU HAVE ANY IDEAS WHAT I COULD GET CHECKED

Stick some foil over the front of the radiator (Mask about 50% of it but leave at least 25% of the area in front of the fan clear!) and get the engine to run A LITTLE HOTTER. Obviously you shouldn't do this in the summer and you must watch your temp gauge don't let it get anywhere near the red. If your MPG improves then try getting a thermostat rated a few degrees hotter.

Rocket - I'd ask Pug questions in the Pug forum below - you'll probably get a quicker response than in the general chat. Be warned we will all have different ideas. Don't know of any tuners in your area but I'll scout around a bit for you - you're not the first from over the borders to join us. Exhaust wise I like the Magnex twin tailpipe with a slightly slanted edge. Performance wise go for a sports cat - every other variable will have little effect.