tuning bmw 325d 2009 by adding induction kit

chromebimmer

Car
bmw 325d 2009
Hello everyone

I have a 2009 bmw 325d which already gives me a headache by showing me the PFD warning light time to time, as I don't drive on motorways much.

I wanted to add an induction kit, so it could give it a better performance, as well as making a noise while I drive around.

I wanna know if it's a good idea to add an induction kit, or would it have a negative effect on my PFD. I read somewhere that adding an induction kit will take in warm air into the engine, so I was wondering if that would help the soots burn easier or not?!!! I am not a pro, so if this is a stupid question I'm sorry in advance :p

Regarding the noise and induction kit, I want an easily removable kit, so I can only install it when I go for car meetings, and to remove it afterwards.

I appreciate your comments and helps in advance.

Thanks

Hi and welcome.

Do you mean the DPF warning light? :)

First off, if you are looking for a performance gain from a simple induction kit then you will be disappointed.

It may feel faster, but this is due to the combination of noise and subconsciously pushing the load pedal just a little harder :)

A properly installed induction kit will draw air from outside of the engine bay. Only novicies fit systems that pull air from the engine bay. And no, hot air will not help clear the soot, but it will help to reduce engine power.

But if you are more interested in noise than power, then go ahead as this is a good place to start learning about car modifying as you can't do a lot of damage :)

PS. I recommend that you advise your insurance broker so as not to risk invalidating your cover, as this can work out very expensive in the event of a claim against you.

Hi and welcome.

Do you mean the DPF warning light? :)

First off, if you are looking for a performance gain from a simple induction kit then you will be disappointed.

It may feel faster, but this is due to the combination of noise and subconsciously pushing the load pedal just a little harder :)

A properly installed induction kit will draw air from outside of the engine bay. Only novicies fit systems that pull air from the engine bay. And no, hot air will not help clear the soot, but it will help to reduce engine power.

But if you are more interested in noise than power, then go ahead as this is a good place to start learning about car modifying as you can't do a lot of damage :)

PS. I recommend that you advise your insurance broker so as not to risk invalidating your cover, as this can work out very expensive in the event of a claim against you.
Dear Steve,

Thank you for your quick reply.

I am not actually looking for performance gain, as my car is fast enough, especially in London roads I don't really need to make it faster with 3000 litre engine. However, that little sexy noise can make me feel better when I push the pedal.

My question actually is about the effect it may have on my DPF system in total, if it makes it worse or doesn't have anything to do with it…

And if it is ok to install an induction kit, do you recommend any brands, models, links etc.

Any recommendation and tips would be beneficial.

Thanks

As you stated that:

I wanted to add an induction kit, so it could give it a better performance, as well as making a noise while I drive around.

I assumed that you were looking for power gains as well as noise :)

Agreed, a car fitted with the 3000 litre engine will already be fast enough, even for me :)

With regard to the DPF, I doubt that it would affect it, but I will leave the definitive answer to the diesel experts on here.

With regard to what induction kit to fit, I have never fitted one so I will leave this to those who have.

Last edited:
Most BMWs have very effective cold air feeds as standard, you will in all likelyhood reduce the performance with an underbonnet kit. These belong on 1.0 Clios and Corsas, not BMWs.

DPF regeneration does include some measures to increase combustion temperatures but if the light is on then you have a clogged DPF. It's dealer time for this one I think

As HDi said,

You can always install a panel filter which directly replaces the stock panel filter and may give you a little more noise. I'd strongly recommend a remap, as it helps with fuel economy and makes the car more pleasant to drive and as an added bonus increased power and torque.