Tuning / better performance???

stayluckydave

Hi guys,
I have recently purchased a Mercedes CLK430 V8 (yr 2000) and I was wondering what I could do to get better performance? I don't really want to spend more than £1000 so any advice would be a great help.

It already has a rather hefty 279 BHP but I fancy getting it higher if poss?
My MPG is rather low too at 15-18MPG!

Regards

Dave

Gearbox mods towards a lower ratio will make the car a lot faster. The car should respond well to most tuning options so add a Sports catalyst, induction kit with a cold air feed and consider remapping the ECU to free up the top end this should also help give a little more MPG.

Have had cars with the 4.3 L V8 before, very good engine and low in fuel consumption.

If you have low MPG ratio, I would check the condition of the engine first. A 200 model can easy have been driven more than 300 000km I sold my E430 at 280 000km and you could not tell from the performance or interior/exterior that it had.

I changed to a 2,5" exhaust and do the maping, it gives you about 17hp and I think 35Nm or something. Very common. Cost in Sweden would be arround 400 Euro for the mapping. Exhaust you will spend the whole 1000 pound if you dont do it yourself, and if you dont have experience from making an exhaust fitting where there is no room, I advice not to do it yourself.

From just changing your exhaust there will be almost no difference from the stock, only adding the sound.

If the engine is running good at idle, it might be that the "cells" in the CAT has fallen apart and plugged it. That had happned to mine and it was the two pre cat's that was destroyed. Simplest solution then would be to take out the exhaust and cut them open. then get all the #!#!#!#! out and weld them together again. Then add two race CAT "fitts all" type and put it back.

A new mercedes exhaust is pretty expensive so... if you only have 1000 £ to spend you have to do it wisely I guess...

Kind Regards
David

Hi can anyone advise me i have a clk 230k what is the best air filter to fit to my car for performance

Are you interested in noise or just power? A cotton panel filter would be best IMHO for purely power.;)

(welcome to the site 20Royals!)

There are great performance chips available. Special induction kits too can be fitted...

*Sorry buddy, new members need 10 posts before being allowed to post any pictures or URL's*

T9 man
Moderator.

thanks for answering.. I have been looking around online and its hard to tell which ones are true to what they claim..or if its pure garbage :mad:

Im a college student and i plan to work on this car myself when im finished with my aviation maintenance course but for now id still GREATLY appreciate to know what products would be best for my 320. I really dont want that deep deep burn of spending hundreds on crap that doesnt make a difference hehe (who wants that anyway) . Way down the line im planning on supercharging if i can find one at a really good deal. for now if theres any sprintboosters or intakes. ecu's or anything at all that you know would definitely make a difference. :) I would post a pic of my baby but im kinda new to the thread/forum posting thing hehehe.

hi i have a 2005 c 230 sport. as it has a small 189hp with a manufacture supercharger and intercooler already installed i was wondering what other options i have to get better performance. id rather not spend a ton of money but will take any advice. also many performance chips i have seen seem to be scams as just restrictors and i am not sure how to tell which ones are real.

Greetings and Welcome to our TorqueCars Forum my Friend! :)

I am unable to help you with your question directly, but hopefully somebody can point you in the right direction for the knowledge that you seek!

Good luck buddy! :)

hi i have a 2005 c 230 sport. as it has a small 189hp with a manufacture supercharger and intercooler already installed i was wondering what other options i have to get better performance. id rather not spend a ton of money but will take any advice. also many performance chips i have seen seem to be scams as just restrictors and i am not sure how to tell which ones are real.

I would personally recommend you to get a full remap done professionally of the ECU. I live to far away to help you with that, but there is a lot of people on this forum that does this for a living.

Based on my data your car should be able to be remapped for a + 30-40 bhp, and nm increase of 35% safely. Also having the torque better adjusted for your drivestyle would decrease fuel consumption. Its a good engine that can handle remapping very well, and using safetuning you should not see any problems with it.