tuneable diesels for under a grand

cavy andy

Car
cavalier sri 16v
what diesels out there can i tune that cost under a grand thats the car costing under a grand not the tuneing

i was thinking of the 2.0 hdi engine what else is there in my limited price range

If it is Peugeot you are looking at then as HDI says the 2.2. All engines need to be post 2001 for remaps IIRC so this might mean you have to spend a little more to get a newer model.

The HDi 2.0 was available from as early as 1998.

This is tuneable via the daignostic port. The 2.2 is a much better prospect and tunes much more readily than the 2.0. Problem is going to be cost.

VAGs PD engines respond well to tuning. I just don't like the 4 cylinder ones because they're noisy and rough.

The PD engines were actually launched back in 1999 to replace the first generation of VW Di diesels. VW has now adopted common rail technology.

Try the CRTD's from Hyundai/Kia
theres the TID's from Saab
or you could try the DTI's from Vauxhall/Opel
or the TDCi's from Ford (probably the least tunable of the four engine)

you could probably pic up a CRDT for well under £1k
might not be able to get a Saab or a ford with that price range

Or you could just go with the very common D Turbos

Last edited:
Neither Saab's TiD models and Vauxhall's DTi models use common rail injection. Neither is particularly invigorating to drive or tune.

Funny you say that the TDCi engines aren't especially tuneable. I'd say the exact opposite.

I bought my Audi 1.9 for under a grand but I don't know how "tunable" it is. K&N claims a 30% increase with one of their panel filters, but that seems a little ambitious to me. I haven't yet come across anyone that has remapped my particular motor as I would be curious as to what it would produce.

The TDi 110 remaps very well indeed. PDs are even better Not sure which engine is in yours.

Have a look at Celtic Tuning's website.

No way you'll get 30% with a K&N filter.

If it is Peugeot you are looking at then as HDI says the 2.2. All engines need to be post 2001 for remaps IIRC so this might mean you have to spend a little more to get a newer model.

mine can be remapped and its a 95 :blink1:

what about BMW 318 tds 0r like mine 325 tds, under a grand i bought mine for.

Generally so, yes. Although some operators will do it mechanically by removing the EEPROM from the ECU, remapping that and then re-installing it into the ECU.

Tuning boxes are to be avoided in my opinion. They work by deceiving the ECU rather than changing control codes.

Some people will say otherwise. I wonder who they are ??? ? ?? :)

The TDi 110 remaps very well indeed. PDs are even better Not sure which engine is in yours.

Have a look at Celtic Tuning's website.

No way you'll get 30% with a K&N filter.

1.9 tdi are very tuneable 185bhp from a remap
And there are tons of tuning parts for them

CT's site listed about 150 from my 1.9 tdi (110) not PD engine. I sent them a message as I might be interested in a turbo upgrade as well. :)

Thanks for the info guys.

I bought my Audi 1.9 for under a grand but I don't know how "tunable" it is. K&N claims a 30% increase with one of their panel filters, but that seems a little ambitious to me. I haven't yet come across anyone that has remapped my particular motor as I would be curious as to what it would produce.

with a map and panel filter maybe.

30% from just a filter is er, a word I cant put cos of the swear filter.

Boras are cheaper than golfs and the pd is very tunable from a cheap remap, I have one, but youd struggle to find one under a grand. If you could stretch to 2 grand maybe.

30% from just a filter is er, a word I cant put cos of the swear filter.

Boras are cheaper than golfs and the pd is very tunable from a cheap remap, I have one, but youd struggle to find one under a grand. If you could stretch to 2 grand maybe.
Which bora in particular? is there an equal toledo which would be cheaper again?

Which bora in particular? is there an equal toledo which would be cheaper again?

Dunno about toledos to be honest. What I meant was that a Bora of a certain spec, mileage and year, is almost always cheaper than a Golf of the same spec. When I was looking the equivalent Golf to my Bora was always about 500 quid more.

CT's site listed about 150 from my 1.9 tdi (110) not PD engine. I sent them a message as I might be interested in a turbo upgrade as well. :)

Thanks for the info guys.

Yeah that uses the Bosch VP injection pump which is electronically controlled to an extent. For big power increases you will need larger injector nozzles and also some internal work on the pump, some Celtic (as good as they are) probably won't be able to do for you as well as the turbo,

Celtic does do mechanical tuning as well but I understand that the service is only available at their premises in Newquay.

They had a 1.9 TDi unit running close to 300bhp a few years ago. Obviously substantially modified.

Indeed, it's not impossible to get 300 bhp out of one of those PD engines, but it is costly and time consuming, something like a gt22 turbo would be needed to mention tons of mapping as well as things like clutches and exhausts and what have you.

How deep are your pockets is the question really...

Celtic does do mechanical tuning as well but I understand that the service is only available at their premises in Newquay.

They had a 1.9 TDi unit running close to 300bhp a few years ago. Obviously substantially modified.

So the message I got from them was- I mail them my ECU, they chip it with one of their custom maps and then ship it back to me for 300 pounds.

Yours must be the TDi 110 unit then. These cannot be remapped via the ODBII port (because they don't have OBDII ports) so Celtic does essentially the same job by removing and re-flashing the EPROM chip directly.

This isn't quite as good as a custom map but the results are still pretty spectacular and will not distort the engines emissions control parameters like a tuning box can.

It's still well worth doing in my opinion.