Tune 2.5 944 lump or stick a V8 in it?

chris944

Car
Porsche 944 2.5
Hi all

I have a 83 944 2.5 lux and I want a little more power from my beast. Ain't it always the way!!

So is it possible from getting nearer 200bhp from the 2.5? I think I would be happy with that to start but I have been told it would be very expensive to get the engine up there as it is already quite highly tuned by Porsche.

I am currently rebuilding a 4 litre Rover V8 to go in but am having doubts about sticking a rover engine in a Porsche. The V8 soundtrack would be awesome and it would give me the 200bhp to start but.... It's a ROVER!

What do you think, try and get 200 out of the porsche lump or keep moviong with the V8 install?

Cheers Chris

I wouldn't bother with that big heavy low power lump if i were you mate. Bear in mind that my 3.0 V6 standard pushes out 210bhp. iirc without checking yours is a 2.5 8v straight 4 which produces 165bhp??? You would only be gaining 35bhp from a huge engine size increase and the power to weight ratio would not be very good at all.

Myself, I would most likely go down the 944 S2 engine which is the Turbo lump pushing out 250bhp standard and would leave you wide open to mod the living daylights out of it ;)

Last edited:
Is it the Land Rover 4.0 V8? Surely the power to weight and reliability would make it a non starter.

I'd look at supercharging the 2.5 or as bad63r suggests a Porsche engine swap!

Oh and a warm welcome to the site, nice to meet you. It sound's like you will fit in here nicely and I hope you enjoy the forums as much as we all do.

Cheers for the welcome fellas :cheesy:

In fairness a 3 litre porky lump would be the ideal but I just haven't got that kind of money laying about to buy the engine and then rebuild it, I haven't seen one go for less than £1500 please someone pipe up if you have one going for less :) and then I guess it would need the new wiring harness and cooling system right? thats without all the parts to rebuild it. I doubt very much I could get one in for less than 5 grand!

Now the Rover interests me because it is only 30lbs heavier than the porsche lump believe it or not and buy using a few lightened part and getting rid of bit I don't need I think I can get it very close to the 340lbs that the 2.5 weighs. The other thing that graps my attention is the torque figures, an extra 35 bhp for all the work might not sound that great but torque would go from 151ft/lb to 236ft/lb and that I reckon would give a whole lot of smiley faced moments!

I do like the sound of supercharging the 2.5 though so I will have a look for bad63r posts. Anyone got any idea how much money/work is invloved??

Also if the enigne stays in it will need new valve seal and piston rings. Is blowing blue smoke over 4k so I think they are most likely the issue. Is it easy enough to do them with the engine in or does it need to come out?? Getting to the balancer shaft belts I'm most worried about I suppose.

I know you already have the 2.5 but check out this link incase you can see anything at all that you might be able to replace for really cheap money.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1391923.htm

Plus i realise your budget is lower down compared to alot of Porsche engines but just having a look myself for you, i came across some potential items that are around and slightly above the said figures.

Click here for engine 1

This next one is really cheap

Click here for engine 2

It seems that your engine is quite cheap aswell as they seem to go for about £400-500 for the entire engine, loom ecu ect. But thos couple of links should give you some idea ;)

Hey Bad63r

around 500 is right for a 2.5 engine but the 3.0 944 lump jumps incredibly.

The other 2 links are for different porkers too, the first is for the cayenne which I believe is rear engine so everything would be different and the 2nd is for a 928 which is another v8 lump but a lot larger and heavier than the rover. I know of at least one 944 it has been fitted into but it required a shed load of chopping to get it in which is something I want to avoid.

Chevy LS1 lump, that would be the hammer, but again prices over here are waaaay up :sad2:

There was a big debate on a Porsche forum a while ago and the outcome was the LS1 was the ideal choice but expensive and potentially the low down torque could destroy the drivetrain. The Rover in something like 4ltr TVR guise would be interesting, still requiring quite a bit of fabricating but maybe worth the effort. Bear in mind your cars value will be next to nothing as no one wants a bastardised Porsche. A 928 engine won't fit, your 2.5 is effectively half of a 928s V8 and there's precious little room in there for that.
Personally I would keep the 2.5 4 pot already in there and make sure it is running correctly (you'd be surprised how many ponies could of bolted from the stable in 27 years) then fit a set of JMG chips like I did to my 944turbo. On your engine you can expect to see an extra 10 - 30 bhp from these and a much more flexible engine response. A performance filter and that's probably about it. What you'll then have is a fine handling machine with a better engine response that will also hold it's value and keep rising as 944 values are at the moment.:D You can then trade up to a turbo later on and then the sky's the limit modifying one of those as I'm finding out:bigsmile:
If you want some links to more info then PM me as I'm not allowed to post other forums up here in public.:blink1:

Andy

Cheers Andy, maybe a turbo'd version would be the way to go at some point, put too much money into this one at the moment though and it's just the way I want it, well apart from the engine lol!

Gonna have to have a good think about it! Just don't want to put more money into the 2.5 if I ain't going to be happy with it but I hear what you saying that it probs ain't got all it's horses in the field at the mo, probably a little heavier with a boot full of ice too lol :embarrest: Too bastardise or nto to bastardise.... thst is the question!! Still think the 944 would sound aweeeesome with a v8 sound track too!

Nice car too btw, read one of your other threads, sounds like a LOT of work has gone into it!

put too much money into this one at the moment though and it's just the way I want it, well apart from the engine lol!

If you've got the '44 mechanically straight and looking good then you're almost there. This is THE 944 guru in this country. Anything 944 he has done it and improved on it. Have a chat with Jon and he can give you a LOT of advice and options he's also the technical advisor for TIPEC (if you want to google that:blink1:). http://www.jmgarage.com/modify/modify-944.htm This is his modifications page with what he does but have a read of rest of his site. He's a bit of a trek for you but if you go down to see him the trip back will be awesome :lol: Tell him Aerial Andy sent you and is my Turbo downpipe ready yet:bigsmile: Are you a member of a Porsche club? there's a lot of modifyed '44s out there.
Thanks for your positive comments on 'Blue Rocket' (the nickname Jon gave it and has stuck:amuse:) Ever fancy a ride then give me a shout, I keep meaning to get upto the Bristol club region for a chat so maybe next year sometime

Cheers
Andy

Andy can these parts be orderd and shiped to my country???couse im from montenegro these parts are not available here??:(:(

Hi Boro
What parts do you mean? If it's the parts from the JMG link then yes :D Jon manufactures and ships parts all over the world. Most of the top end power 944s in the world carry at least some of his parts :amuse: Send him an email of what you want to do and mention my name (AerialAndy with 'Blue Rocket' ((Don't ask, he'll know who you're talking about)) and he'll sort you out with what you require and the mail order prices.
V8 stuff I haven't a clue where to start, as said before Renegade Hybrids are the only company I know in America.
Did you manage to download those manuals I sent?

Cheers
Andy

well thats great!!!!:bigsmile:im starting to save money:toung::toung:
about the manuals i ectualy didnt manage to download that PET5...when i download it it says that its not valid...other thinks i can view on the vebsite so thats not a problem....only this pet5:(but ill try smt else hope ill download it

Yes it's a bit of a large file isn't it, I had trouble and it doesn't like some internet browsers I've heard. UUUMMMM i'll have a look and see if I've still got the disc with it on, I've got it somewhere just my filing is a bit chaotic:blink: I've also got the parts catalogue on PDF so send me a PM with your email address and I'll try sending that over for you. Had a go last night trying to copy the file to the forum messaging but it wouldn't let me, or more likely my computer skills wasn't upto the job :embarrest::lol:

Likeing the pics on your gallery, Cookie cutter wheels are pretty rare and very expensive in this country. The VW boys love them.

Andy

The design of the original wheels got the nick name cookie cutters as they looked like a set of cutters. Proper name from Porsche is Fuchs. Available originally on the 911 cars.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back