Trying to isolate a drivetrain problem

My 95 Cavalier is making a pop noise when i turn the wheel all the way. Rotate completely right, it stops; give another turn, just a little, and there's a loud grinding POP! Rotate back until it stops, then right again, no problem.

Rotate all the way left, then another shove, POP! Rotate right, then back left, no problem.

Rotate all the way right, POP!

What's going on here? I'm thinking CV joints, I've been told it could be struts. I've considered just replacing the drive shafts.

dunno mate. ma parents vecta made loud pop and bangs, turned out it was the steering pump leaking. when there was little fluid in it the noise was really loud

you an check the CVs yourself
you can also check spring easy as well

dunno mate. ma parents vecta made loud pop and bangs, turned out it was the steering pump leaking. when there was little fluid in it the noise was really loud

you an check the CVs yourself
you can also check spring easy as well

Nods. Prior owner did an engine swap, never refilled the tranny, and I found this weekend that I had been running for months with an empty transmission (bone dry!). This is why it took FORCE to get in and out of reverse gear. Now when I shift it feels like I'm shoving the stick through a glob of softened butter, what a weird feeling. Used Synchromesh fluid.

I should have checked ALL the fluid levels in everything :| Oil and wiper fluid were low when I got it, I didn't check anything else. Power steering? Brake? Clutch? I should do a clutch hydraulic fluid flush with synthetic DOT4.

let us know how it turns out.

something i do every couple of weeks,
oil coolant brake ( clutch is same reservoir) just to be on the safe side.

Well ALL my fluids are fine, checked the levels. Yay :)

I wonder if I can autocross without fixin' it...

I had a popping noise similar to this on my ford probe, turns out the front springs were to blame as the rubber spring seats hadn't been put in by the previous owner, i think he wanted the car a bit lower without buying new springs or something lol

I had a popping noise similar to this on my ford probe, turns out the front springs were to blame as the rubber spring seats hadn't been put in by the previous owner, i think he wanted the car a bit lower without buying new springs or something lol

Previous owner might have tried DIY lowering by cutting off a coil from the standard spring and losing the locating tang on the end of the coil, causing the spring to rotate in its mounting cups , especially noticed on full lock:blink1:

HAving owned 4 Calibras now (they are the exact floor plan and chassis as a Cavalier) I can confirm you have a problem with the ball joint on the lower arm. Very cheap to fix aslong as you haven't got a V6 or Turbo and will cost you about £70-80 for the pair and will take about 2 hours to fit ;)

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back