troubles with tuning

captmnite

Car
2003 celica gt auto
i just put a turbo kit in our stk 2003 celica gt with a 1zz-fe motor with a auto trans the turbo installed is a garrett gt28rs and we added a aem fic/basemap along with it and also 440cc injectors also the exhaust has no cat in it and is free flowing know hers my question after install we took it to a experianced tuner with a dyno and are have a problem with the fis being tunable he's recommending that we try to fine a stand alone ecu to accomadate the new upgrade with a extra injector for thr tuning ease any help with this would be great i tried apexi but the system doesn't support auto tranny it seems to wrk better with the stk injectors in it and with the aem fic disconnected

Well firstly greetings and welcome to TorqueCars my friend! :)

We have many experts here on Toyota and I am sure that somebody will be along in a while to answer your question! ;)

The Toyota ECU's are a nightmare. I believe a lot of people use the Apex Power FC ecus but there are lots available, don't skimp you will get what you pay for. IMO an aftermarket ECU needs a knock sensor and the ability to trim things back to prevent engine problems.

If you get the mapping spot on you should have little trouble, get it wrong though and it could destroy the engine. I would also recommend that you switch to high octane fuel as well.

If you have put a turbo on a an NA engine or just uprated it you will need a completely new map.
usually this means a programmable ecu such as apexi power Fc .
If you cant getan apexi ecu to work its likely you are trying to use a manual ecu which wont work
If you have an auto you need an auto ecu as the wilol be extra functions such as kickdown.

My knowledge of toyotas isnt massive but it psrobably the same as nissan autos where apexi just dont do an ecu for some models.

SOmething like an later HKS F con or a link ECU will work.

Not cheap but that is a problem if you are going to properly tune these cars.