Triumph 6, oil problem Help required.

T

Tim Sands

Hi, I am looking for some advise, I have a GT6 engine in my Moss roadster, it has been stood for a long time, it does start and run smoothly, however I have oil comming out of my dip stick tube when the engine is revved I did wonder if it was just a case of the dip stick being a loss fit in the tube or may be I had not put it away properly, the oil preshure is good and the engine has done about 8,000 miles since a complete rebuild. There is plenty of oil getting to the rockers, the only thing I have changed since I got the car was to fit a rear oil feed pipe to the rear of the head, after removing the blanking bolt,The pipe is 't' ed of the oil presshure gauge pipe fitting next to the oil pressure switch. This is how I was told to carry out the fitting when I purchased the pipe.

any advise welcome.

Tim

It sounds like a pressure problem to me. What is the compression like on the cylinders? Are you getting a lot of blow by? Was the engine properly run it? (Low speed high torque work like hills?)

Is the breather blocked?

Have you tried reversing the modification you carried out and compare? Do you have any oil being pumped up into the breather area? Blocked crankcase breather? Sounds like you have excessive crankcase pressure, but check other areas mentioned.

Hi, I am looking for some advise, I have a GT6 engine in my Moss roadster, it has been stood for a long time, it does start and run smoothly, however I have oil comming out of my dip stick tube when the engine is revved I did wonder if it was just a case of the dip stick being a loss fit in the tube or may be I had not put it away properly, the oil preshure is good and the engine has done about 8,000 miles since a complete rebuild. There is plenty of oil getting to the rockers, the only thing I have changed since I got the car was to fit a rear oil feed pipe to the rear of the head, after removing the blanking bolt,The pipe is 't' ed of the oil presshure gauge pipe fitting next to the oil pressure switch. This is how I was told to carry out the fitting when I purchased the pipe.
any advise welcome.
Tim

Tim,

check with the engine running and the dipstick removed by putting you hand over the dipstick tube. Is there a fair amount of air being blown out?

If so check that your crank-case ventilation system isn't blocked and is doing it's job correctly. As with this CCV pipe or system blocked the pressure developed in the crankcase when the engine is running needs to vent to atmosphere somehow and the dipstick tube is a handy escape route.

If the CCV checks out fine and the engine is still doing it, you may have a slight problem! This would mean the rings aren't sealing to the cylinders and combustion pressure is getting into the crank-case.
In which event you need to verify this by getting a compression test carried out and comparing the readings with a stock engine (from a Haynes manual or similar).
If the reading vary by more than 10% from cylinder to cylinder and or they are low compared to the normal value. The engine is in need of attention.

just read this , as a new visit to the forum,
unless you have fitted roller rockers you dont want or need the external oil feed it just over oils the valves , which are unsealed, and worst takes oil away from the main bearings
even if there is a 0.5 mm restrictor in the pipe union.

have found many a triumph with the wrong dipstick/tube , suggest you drain sump add the refill amount less 1 litre mark stick as low now add the 1 litre and mark stick as full. see if it compares with the stick markings.

you sump may just be overfilled Pete