Transplanting everything from a big car to a hatchback

Aaron113

Torque Junkie
Car
This is a rather complex question to be asking it as plain as im trying to do here but regardless, is it possible to take everything from a "big block" car and put it into a hatchback of the same car brand without having too many issues?

The idea is to take the bigger engine with its intake, exhaust and cooling system, together with the wiring loom, stock ecu and everything like ancillaries and put it into a small hatchback of the same year and brand. I believe that this way i would be able to cut costs on aftermarket ecu and parts while also getting everything what i want from it at the same time. Im curious what you guys think, do you have experience with these sorts of stuff?

Yes, it is possible. Most things are with enough money.
Mighty Car Mods recently put a large Corolla engine in a Yaris. Worth looking up the series on You Tube.

Yeah ive seen that one bit, killed the engine in the end lol but it was worth it. Main reason why i ask is that i want to do it all by myself and i cant trust anyone else with it since almost every mechanic wanted to rip me off every single time i was doing the simplest of services. It was always a tug of war and im not fond of that, in the end i had to learn how to repair and service my car on my own.

For what its worth im using the NA Peugeot 406 3.0 24v pininfarina edition as the donor vehicle on my 206 basic HDI, i like small cars and need them for city parking + i like sleepers above everything.

Hello there, may I wish you a very warm welcome, it's great to have you join us. We hope you enjoy the site and the forum, and please do get stuck into the discussions, we love reading your opinions and hearing about your experiences.

Most makers use the same platforms, engines mounts accross the model range, VAG group for example are majorly interchangable, even the large v6 blocks will fit in the smaller hatchbacks.

The big one used to be the H22 from a Prelude fitted to a Civic, and some added turbochargers.

I'm guessing manufacturers almost always use the same engine mounts throughout a set year for saving money on stuff like that.

It saves research and development costs and manufacturing costs when everything is standardised.

Good to have you along and I look forward to reading updates on your project, it'll be an interesting one to keep up with.

I'm still on the researching portion, the most difficult part will be dealing with oldish engines, you never know what you got with them.

I would say the main thing is squeezing everything into a smaller engine bay. I remember the MG Metro 6R4. 3 litre V6 into a mini hatchback. Stunning performance!!!

Yeah the space is going to be a challenge, i have to carefully measure everything. I've seen people being able to put it into the car but before i do that, ill have to rebuild the whole engine and then wonder if the engine mounts will hold lol. It's going to be twice as many ponies with twice as many cc there.