Transmission Lost...

kb277

Car
GTO TwinTurbo
So i was out in the GTO TT today and remembered my horn wire had disconnected from the back of the button (aftermarket wheel) so i carefully removed the wheel, reattached the wire, refitted wheel and hey presto honkety honk...honk honk honk.

Mission 1 completed...

Mission 2 (the fun part)... Go for a spin about to pass a cold wintery saturday.

Epic FAIL>

Some girl opted for the pull out in front of me and make me stop option, so i duly stopped to save wiping out her car for her (kind of me i thought :amuse:) where i stopped is quite a steep hill and after letting the polite girl swing out and round in front of me i proceeded to drive off....well tried to at least (to my utter embarresment)

A loud clunk followed by some nice whirry noises resulted in me rolling back a foot or so...figured i just hadnt quite caught the gear right so popped it back to nuetral and then back into first...same whirring noise, hmmmm, try second then, same try all the gears, same noise, reverse to back up onto kerb to let traffic build up clear, same noise and no drive.

:embarrest::embarrest::embarrest::embarrest::embarrest:

So the traffic clears and i figure lets have another we into gear try, nope, sweet FA!

Sh#t!

So it got towed back to my driveway where it now sits patiently waiting to be seen to and sorted.

Any idea's?

Had a look at the prop shaft when in gear and whirring away as if it was driving and there is no movement from front to rear.

Questions are:

Where drive comes out of gearbox, does this have a 90 deg knuckle onto main props? Figure may have snapped bolts or pins there.

Am i likely to have just busted my clutch plate stopping it getting into a gear? sounds like when you dont quite have it in gear fully when trying to drive.

Am i more likely to require a new gearbox altogether? I hope not!

i can move gear stick into gear position without clutch with no grinding noises etc, just goes in and whirrs away. which makes me think perhaps my clutch plate/pressure plate has busted.

Engine runs perfect noise adverse noises, no smoke.

Any ideas/help/suggestions etc would be appreciated.

on further searching it would appear there is a possibility i have stripped the splines off of the output shaft. oh dear a common fault i believe.

Looked at costs for replacement £300 for 25 spline shaft and another £300 for coupler!!!

I also notice there is an 18 spline shaft, any idea's how to tell which one i may have before stripping gearbox (so i can order the. bits) or alternatively a cheaper place to get the parts? £600 for the output shaft and coupler seems a lot when i can buy a complete gearbox for that. if i end up just getting gearbox am i as well taking the 6 speed box and will it fit straight or require some modding?

Sorry for all the questions but i could use a few pointers before i go spending a fortune on xmas shopping and leave myself short for my own toy :)

It's a common fault on high mileage GTO's. The problem is that it's a dry joint so metal against metal powered by 300 bhp doesn't work for infinity.
The 18 spline box was only fitted to the five speed T.T. prior to mid/late '91.
Which model/year do you have ? LMK and i'll be able to find out. If you p.m. me your chassis number i can put it into CAPS and give a definite answer.
The only problem with that is if the car was fitted with an 18 or 25 spliner from the factory and someone has had the same approach as you and fitted a second hand box/transfer box combo.
Yes, it is a bit on the expensive side but these cars were £45K new, just because they can be acquired for £50 doesn't mean that the parts are going to be cheap. :lol:

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back