Tranmission oil...

SaabSon

Wrench Pro
Car
04 Saab 9-3 2.0t
Has anyone changed their transmission oil? I am having trouble finding the bolt that would drain the transmission oil and any sort of direction as to where I could find this bolt would be appreciated.

Its entirely possible you may need to suck the oil out, smart car suprex engines don't have a sump plug and have the oil sucked out for the same reason. :)

Thanks for the help. I found the bolt, unscrewed it, and no oil came out. Is this what you are talking about as far as needing a suction pump to get the oil out...?

manual or automatic? I am not too sure on the newer 9-3's as they are nothing like a 900 or OG9-3 that I am familiar with but I do not think you need to suck anything out. As far as I can recall Saab never had this feature. I also agree usually there is two plugs.

i know on my 9000 aero I hade the hardest time trying to find the drain. I eventually found it after much looking and what threw me off was that it was a flat plug with an allen wrench type of hole.

I've been out of the loop for a while. We had a death in the family so my apologies for leaving the thread a bit hanging.

I got tired of looking for the plug to drain my transmission oil so I took it to a Saab guy here in town and he said that transmission oil NEVER needs to be changed on the car. He said the factory oil in there will last the lifetime of the car. However, a note to anyone with an 04 our newer. If you'd like to drain your transmission oil, the bolt is behind the driver side of the frame. So, in order to get to the bolt and drain your oil, you would need to take off the driver side of the frame which includes lifting the engine out of the car. No bueno. Thanks for your help anyways guys!

Well I had mine changed by Abbotts 2 weeks ago after 79k miles! the Beast was starting to shift awkwardly now and again through the gears, so I had word with Abbotts, auto transmission oil now changed, and now it shifts silky smooth again! :D

Lifetime oil life??? £100 for new oil or silly + £'s for a new gearbox? not a particularly difficult one to answer I think! ;)

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back