Traction control

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Does having traction control help or hinder your launch? I imagine it slows you up but what about if you had a proper launch control fitted?

Traction and launch controll will rob you of time. it may only be 10th's of a second but it all counts. What you need is grip, oodles and oodles of grip. This is why you run such wide and soft tyres on the strip, and it is also the reason behind a burnout, to get the tyres all soft and sticky.

I disagree that launch control riobs you of time.

A properly set up system will allow you to leave the line with your right foot planted firmly into the carpet (if fitted). The software reads the relevent speeds of the driven wheels in relation to each other and also the non-driven wheels and adjusts the power available so that your tyres are only just slipping (this is the point at which most acceleration is achieved). Couple this with the stickiest tyres possible and full throttle gear changing and all you have to do is hold on and point the car in the right direction :)

So thats more than just a system which holds a preset rev at launch. You comment makes sense. Things are always so complicated with cars and there are so many factors to take into account. I think the old addage you get what you pay for kicks in with launch control.

waynne said:
So thats more than just a system which holds a preset rev at launch. You comment makes sense. Things are always so complicated with cars and there are so many factors to take into account. I think the old addage you get what you pay for kicks in with launch control.

Yup, you get what you pay for. If you want to go FAST rather than fast, then you have to pay for it. Either a standalone launch control unit or, preferably, launch control incorportated into the ECU. Everyhting has to work in perfect harmony, especially when pushing the limits of adhesion. To do the job properly with a state of the art ECU you are looking at £2-2500 plus wheel triggers, sensors, etc. However, this type of ECU will also control NOS ( :) ) very accurately, gear changes, give you control of literally thousands of engine variables, various engine maps for different conditions, etc, etc, etc....

ive been looking at traction control on mine and the best system i seem to find is the race logic, thats the option im going for to keep my car safe when the missus takes it out

old-git said:
I disagree that launch control riobs you of time.

A traction contoll system stops wheel spin by reducing the power going through the wheels, which will inevitably slow you down and increase your elapsed time. The best way to stop wheel spin to get the best possible launce, is to fit super sticky tyres (like Hoosier's and Mickey Thompson's) and if need be make them wider too.

Incorrect (IMHO).

Too much wheelspin will result in slow ETs.

A PROPERLY set up launch control system will allow the tyres to JUST slip (which results in the quickest acceleration).

Even drag slicks can be overcome by excessive power, so a launch control system will still be required if you want to go fast.

In case we are talking at cross purposes here, I am talking about launch control as opposed to traction control which is a different system all together.

In case we are talking at cross purposes here, I am talking about launch control as opposed to traction control which is a different system all together.

:rolleyes:Ah, opps sorry. :oops: I was talking about traction controll.

Launch controll is a totally different kettle of fish and will aid launch if set up and used properly. The majority of racers I know use a launch system that controlls the brakes rather than the engines power output. It locks up the brakes and when launched, the brakes are releaded smoothly and gently to controll the release of power, reducing wheel spin, but are released very quickly so no to rob you of any time. You basiclly turn on the launch controll, throtthle up (but not full throttle, :rolleyes: That would brake something) to load up the transmission, and throw the release switch on the green light.

Right, now we are talking about the same thing :)

A big drawback of the brake launch control system (IMHO) is it is very difficult to get a consistent result on each launch. However, it is probably a lot cheaper than ECU control.

The beauty of a properly set up ECU launch control system is that you can use full throttle, so there is one less thing to think about on the line. The ECU reads the wheel sensors and only allows sufficient power to reach the driven wheels in order to achieve optimum acceleration. This also results in more consistent launches.

Like most things in life, you get what you pay for.

Some tuning software,

allows you to adjust (in the PCM/ECM) the amount of spark retard in the traction control tables to the point where, when the conditions are right you can, with the TC selected "on" do full TP launches from standstill and have the tyres just scrabbling for grip without spinning any of the power away.

Problem and frustration with this is it doesn't have any temp & pressure (Density Altitude) correction. So one can only get it in the ball park for an average day.

Some tuning software,

allows you to adjust (in the PCM/ECM) the amount of spark retard in the traction control tables to the point where, when the conditions are right you can, with the TC selected "on" do full TP launches from standstill and have the tyres just scrabbling for grip without spinning any of the power away.

Problem and frustration with this is it doesn't have any temp & pressure (Density Altitude) correction. So one can only get it in the ball park for an average day.

Ah, but if you get a proper ECU with the latest software, everything is possible :)............................At a price.

In competition it should be noted that traction control and launch control are largely prohibited. Certain classes are permitted systems such as Motec for anti lag and turbo mapping, but physical sensors that gather info on wheel speed are purely for data logging purposes.

The only thing which comes close, in competition conditions, is electronically controlled suspension, as used in Pro Stock and the quick doorslammer classes.

Launch control itself has benefits, but only dependant on what application it's used in. I'm not allowed to use any form of traction or launch control, but I wouldn't even if I could, as the way the car hooks up, it doesn't need any launch control and it would damage the engine and clutch if it did[1]

[1] To explain that briefly, most launch control and T/C systems work by backing off the ignition, which brings wheel speed down. That works fine on petrol cars, but in cars using 20 odd gallons of nitromethane, per minute, any reduction in timing is likely to hydraulic one or several cylinders.

Plus...I'm quite happy with 1.0 60ft times :)