Toyota Yaris blown head gasket or streched chain? HELP!

frosty984

Wrench Pro
Car
Yaris 1.0 VVT-i
Hi, a few months ago i had a problem with my Yaris 1.0 VVT-i. I had a blown gasket on my exhaust and a melted catalytic converter, cause of this problem was that my Oxygen probe (sonde) (I don't actually know how it is in english but in croatia we call it "lambda sonda" ) didn't comunicate with the ECU so the engine was runing rich, burning a lot of fuel, and the incjectors clogged up and the car didn't quite responded to throttle (it sufocated when you added throttle like it chewed and then built-up RPM so we repaired the gasket on the exhaust, buyed a new catalytic converter, fixed the ECU, cleaned the injectors and the car was runing fine but there was another problem with the car, the strange tik-tok noise in the engine, like the cylinders are hiting the valves and mechanic said to me that the chain in the engine is stretched out that controls the camshaft etc, you know what i mean, (again i don't know how it is said in english) but he said that i can drive the car. Later I checked the oil on the car and oil smelled like exhaust gasses so I decided to drive the car to warm it up and to check does it smoke white, so i drove the car and parked it in my garage, it does smoke a little white warmed up and outside was about 5 degrees celsius. It produces that tik-tok sound when it's warmed on a working temperature but when its cold it does not I assume that it is because it has higher RPM when its started cold. When you add throttle when the car is warmed the tik-tok dissapears. I think that the car has a blown head gasket so it burns cooling fluid, oil smells on exhaust gasses and beacuse it burns coolant it build a higher compression inside the cylinder and makes a tik-tok noise? I also filmed a video today so I can upload it to YouTube and post a link if I am able to post it here

I appreciate any help and excuse my english :cheesy:

Last edited:
It would be helpful if you could post up the video link for us. It does sound like the chain has stretched. Is the engine running smoothly though or is there a loss of power and hesitation?

Thanks waynne for replying, posting the link today. The car does not show any power loss or hesitation, runs like a charm, accelerates beautifully, it only idles rough. Car has only 38500 miles (62000 km)

It would be helpful if you could post up the video link for us. It does sound like the chain has stretched. Is the engine running smoothly though or is there a loss of power and hesitation?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XU_G...ature=youtu.be

Here is the link, I hope that it will help you. If you need something else I will film a video and post it again. Also my average fuel consumption in the city is about 9 l, I don't know is this a lot since it is only driven in the town.

Thanks for any help

Hmmmm - the problem is that we're trying to do this in written words - imagine trying to tune a grand piano down a telephone line :)

Are the coolant and oil levels stable? Is one increasing and the other decreasing?

What is the condition of the top of the engine (under the oil filler cap) ?

Hmmmm - the problem is that we're trying to do this in written words - imagine trying to tune a grand piano down a telephone line :)

Are the coolant and oil levels stable? Is one increasing and the other decreasing?

What is the condition of the top of the engine (under the oil filler cap) ?

Coolant and oil levels are stable, ill post a picture of the oil cap and the top of the engine, a video of the oil cap and another video of the engine running.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvrvlU5fZ-A&feature=youtu.be - Oil cap

Attachments

• 20140215_174436.jpg
    20140215_174436.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
9L per 100km is not great but if it's mostly urban driving that may well be the reason. Can you get the ECU interrogated - ie. get stored fault codes (if any) read? Rough idle could be down to many things but let's look at the obvious firstly.

The tik tok noise is extremly unlikely to be the valves hitting something.
1 the noise would not dissapear when the engine warms up
2 the engine would almost certainly bend a valve or worse.
Same applies to the stretched chain being the culprit. That wll not change the nose when wamed up
If the head gasket has blown you will have oil and water mixed together either in the radiator or the rocker cover and i cant see how that could in itself cause a tik tok noise either
If th ol smells it may be just old and if the cat melted the heat cold make the oil smell I would change it.
Finally and this just my opinion i would ignore anyone who says the valves are hitting the pistons but it is ok to drive it.

I am using Dexos 2 5W-30. So sleeper what then is causing this trouble? 500 km more and i am going for an oil change, I change oil every 9000-10000 km. Should I switch to another type of oil, i.e Castrol 10W-30 since temperatures here in croatia rarely drops below -15 and goes over 35-40 degrees?

5w/30 is fine. I was just concerned that a heavier oil would possibly cause there to be insufficient pressure at the top of the engine when cold, which in turn could lead to hydraulic tappets not pumping up fully, thus in turn leading to tapping noises.

Tapptt noise along the lines hdi has suggested is certainly
a possibility The new oil may help as oil can lose some of its properties if it is old or has got very hot and yours may have done both
I would change the oil now and not wait 500km what harm can i do and it get rid of that smell.
re whats wrong
It is possible to say something isnt the cause without being able to diagnose the problem acurately

Sounds terrible, like metal to metal contact.Would remove cam cover and check for something broken,rocker arm, spring and cam timing or faulty hyd lifter jammed open .
Would also do a comp test and without knowing the service history use a good engine flush before pouring in new quality oil.
If you can find a borescope you might want to get a look at the piston crowns to see if there has been any contact with the valves or a bit of broken land floating around.This is unlikely BUT it can't hurt to be sure.

Last edited:
It is hard to diagnose from a video but think that what we are all saying is.........

get it checked out now not in 500kms time

Hi guys, yesterday the car was serviced, oil was changed, I chose Castrol Edge FST 5W-30, new oil filter and new spark plugs. The noise that is coming from the engine is caused by a stretched timing chain, but it is not too critical since when you rev up the engine the noise dissapears when oil pump builds up oil pressure but anyway I scheduled a service with my mechanic in 3 weeks and I will change my timing chain and everything that goes with that (cca 150£ and 45£ for the job)

Take it very easy until you change the timing chain, should it snap before you have the chance to change it then disaster will strike :sad2:

Yeah, that's what the mechanic said, it could jump over for 1 teeth and i could have a quite a big mess in the engine and 600 pounds bill for repairs.
Well i hope that in 3 weeks nothing will happen, it's a very well made car :)