Toyota IQ supercharger?

V

vr6lutu

Hi all,

I'm thinking about getting a Toyota IQ at some point in the future, and am looking at supercharging it. I've always had old VW's, and at the moment I just drive a little Polo GTI (2001) and get relatively good MPG out of it (for a 12 year old car). I've never done much research on Toyota's, but am attracted to the IQ partly because it has such good fuel economy, which is sadly my main priority right now :(

If I get an IQ I do wanna have some fun with it and would like to supercharge it, but does anyone know how this affects MPG? I don't want to do it if it will make it as economical as an old Land Rover as that'll just be pointless! If anyone could give an approximate MPG of a supercharged IQ that will probably make my mind up as to whether to get one.

Secondly, does anyone whether it's better to fit one to the 1.0 or the 1.3?

Also wondering how much it generally tends to cost for the supercharger. I found an American website which claims to sell a "bolt-on supercharger kit" for $200. I was sure that this couldn't be right, it just seemed way too cheap!? (even with shipping).

If anyone has actually done this themselves, I'm also looking for some information as to any potential drawbacks/problems they've experienced/things to watch out for!

Finally, if anyone has an IQ and has carried out any other mods instead of supercharging to make it a bit more fun, please let me know as I'm curious about any other options. If I get one, it will mainly be a runaround but I will be taking it on the motorway at times and tbh with the standard power it comes with I wouldn't fancy it at all, so anything to increase the power would help! :lol:

Greetings and a Warm Welcome to our TorqueCars Forum my Friend! :)

I am unable to help you with your question directly, but hopefully somebody can point you in the right direction for the knowledge that you seek!

Good luck buddy! :)

welcome. The Toyota IQ is sold here as the Scion IQ. Last I heard, Scion was working on releasing a supercharged kit for it here through TRD (mainly because Scion has built their brand reputation on the customizability of their cars), I don't know what happened to the project, but it's worth looking into, and if it did make it to production, would be worth calling/emailing an American Toyota/Scion dealer and ordering the kit.

You are looking at around £3000 for a decent supercharger kit. I have just finished an article on adding a supercharger which you may like to read and comment on...

http://www.torquecars.com/tuning/adding-a-supercharger.php

In terms of fuel consumption it depends a lot on how you drive it. You would be making the engine more efficient in terms of it's volumetric efficiency so if you drive it to the same levels of acceleration and engine rpm it should be about the same. But should you use the extra power and grunt this can drop rapidly.

Most of the MPG drop comes from driving style. I would guess at a 20% drop in economy as an average.

The 1.0 engine seems better suited to charging than the 1.3 but the gearing from the 1.3 would be better for a supercharged IQ.

You are looking at around £3000 for a decent supercharger kit. I have just finished an article on adding a supercharger which you may like to read and comment on...

http://www.torquecars.com/tuning/adding-a-supercharger.php

In terms of fuel consumption it depends a lot on how you drive it. You would be making the engine more efficient in terms of it's volumetric efficiency so if you drive it to the same levels of acceleration and engine rpm it should be about the same. But should you use the extra power and grunt this can drop rapidly.

Most of the MPG drop comes from driving style. I would guess at a 20% drop in economy as an average.

The 1.0 engine seems better suited to charging than the 1.3 but the gearing from the 1.3 would be better for a supercharged IQ.

I was reading through that article. I think there should be a note that some cars are recommended for a high compression ratio for supercharging, so doing research is recommended.
Example: The recommended supercharged CR for my Saturn 2.2L is 10:1, which is the stock compression ratio naturally aspirated. 9:1 is as low as anyone recommends and 9.5:1 as the middle ground. According to enthusiasts and GM themselve, the reason for the high recommendation is torque output and the parasitic drag of the supercharger. The higher compression helps the engine cope better with the parasitic drag (which saps torque to make torque). This recommendation seems to be GM Ecotec engine specific from my findings.

No problem. As I've been looking into supercharging my Saturn, so I frequented the Chevy Cobalt and Saturn Ion forums to learn as much as I needed for research. Compression ratios below 9:1 are only recommended if you're turbocharging the engine.
If you could just note the recommendation is for the Saturn Ion and Chevrolet Cobalt? Older Saturns used a completely unrelated 1.9L engine.

Last edited: