Toyota Celica 1.8, 140bhp, 2000reg - NEED ADVISE!

aaronc

Im in need of some guildness. I have a toyota celica 1.8, the 2000 Reg 140bhp model. Im hoping to give it a boost in speed. Increase BHP as much as poss basicaly, or somehow turbo? i have no idea where to start, im quite clueless. If anyone could give me a list of things i shud install that will give me alot more bhp (without an intire engine change lol) and alot more acceliration and top end speed maybe, but without any serious dammage to my car in the long run. any help wwud be great, thanks!

Aaron :D

Hi Aaron, welcome to the site. the question is really how much are you prepared to spend? Adding a turbo will need a lot of internal engine work to make it stronger and help lower the compression.

Basic mods - Air filter to induction kit, add sports exhaust and FSE boost valve. Then move on to the head - get bigger valves, fast road cam and get the head gas flowed.

Also I should ask do you want to keep the car reliable? Are you looking to turn it into a track day car or just a fast road car?

thanks, errm, its more of a long time thing with money. i wont be doin every mod in one go, so i was thinkin, put a few 100pound aside amonth and do what i can with that, or save a few 100 and do something alot bigger over 2 or 3 months. i dnt reli want to be spending a rediculas amount.

could u tell me a little more bout turbo? how much, whats needed, what will u gain, good thing and bad things? ect?

basic mods? how much do they cost?

yes i want to tr and keep it relibable, somewhere in between track and road i guess.

basiicaly i want maxium profumance with minium cost (but i dnt no weather its possible)

Aaron

The basic reason for forced induction (turbo or supercharger) is not to increase compression or the maximum pressure in an engine cylinder, it is to increase volumetric efficiency (the efficiency of the engine at drawing in air) although forced induction is the most effective method of upping compression.

Adding a turbo to a non turbo car

When a naturally aspirated engine suck air in, it can only draw so much in before the intake valve closes and seals the cylinder. The average N/A engine will pull in around 60% of its volume, so as a result is only 60% volume efficient. The more highly tuned an engine is the more efficient it will be. The best way to improve this is to force the air/fuel mixture into the cylinders (forced induction) thus filling them more. The average forced inducted engine runs at over 90% volumetric efficiency.

Some examples of the result. a 2.0 N/A motor will use approx 1200-1300cc of its capacity. A turbo'd or supercharged 2.0 will use 1800-1900cc, producing more power as it is able to burn more fuel. The more boost you run, the closer you get to using 100% but for some technical reason I don't understand, apparently that's not possible. But the main benefit from increasing boost is to increase the final compression ratio and getting a better bang from the air/fuel mix in your cylinders.

If you increase the amount of air/fuel in the cylinders, then as a result you will increase the compression, which could be too much. In order to keep the final running compression the same, the initial compression (without boost) has to be dropped to compensate. More air will enable more oxygen to be available for burning and with the addition of additional fuel the engine will release more power. Turbo charging is the best way to increase the efficiency of an engine. When adding a turbo to an engine which was not originally designed for a turbo there are some major complications to take into account.

Detonation or knock - this is where the fuel ignites under pressure before the spark happens. This will cause a piston to move in the opposite direction if it has not reached the top dead center and will have disastrous consequences for the engine. As the intake valve will also generally be open the whole intake manifold, injectors and air filter will effectively carry the exhaust of the combustion and many components of an engine will be ruined.

To avoid this from happening you will need to lower the compression of the engine, and or restrict the turbo to a low boost threshold. (Low compression engines plus a turbo will also avoid some of the turbo lag problems inherent in most turbo applications.) The best turbos to add to a non turbo NASP (Naturally aspirated) engine are small. To lower the compression you can go with a re bore and fit lower compression pistons, you can add a stroker kit to alter the compression ratio or you can get a larger head and thick head gasket thus increasing the cylinder size and reducing the compression ratio. You need to aim for a 7:1 compression ratio if you are adding a turbo, anything above 9:1 you will have problems. In all cases you should use the highest octane fuel that you can find as the higher the octane the more resistant the fuel is to engine knock.

If you can reduce the boost pressure to 5-7psi (as opposed to 25-35psi), and used the higher octane fuels available (e.g. Shell Optimax) you should be able to run a turbo on a standard engine with around the 9:1 compression ratio.

When adding a turbo you should also increase the port size, fit bigger valves and go with a larger exhaust header and system as there will be a much larger volume flowing through the engine. Fitting a boost controller will allow you to experiment on a rolling road while attached to diagnostic equipment to find the optimum boost pressure.

Most kits contain only the necessary parts to physically get the turbo onto the engine such as an exhaust header and the necessary intake plumbing to the air filter.

Fuelling will also need to be uprated, with a higher pressure fuel pump and larger injectors. Turbos are expensive but will add the most power for your money. You should allow about 40 hours for fitting.

The induction kit is around £70-£100 with COLD AIR FEED. Exhausts vary but aim for around £500 Sports cat is worth it if you ever have to replace your cat. (Fit both at the same time though!)

Whenever something needs fixing on your car, replace it with a high perfomance replacement so the upgraded become part of the servicing and maintainance costs - thats what I did with my Rover.

right i got ya. onli problem is i dnt no where to start, and what to get. If you was me, what wud u install on the celica 1.8 vvti 140bhp (standard).if u could list a few things in order of which i shud install first to last and what brand or something, that wud be a major help, i cus then go out and buy those things when i can! Thank you, uv been big help!

Nice car, methinks you will have fun with that one. Induction kit K&N, sports exhaust cat back (HKS is my personal fave for noise) Then do the engine work and leave a remap or chip to last.

well just a thought, but what about changing the head from the VVT-i engine and putting on the head from the VVTL-i engine on with the ECU, cuz im sure the only difference is the heads between the two engine and the ECU that goes with them to give either 140bhp or 190bhp, and the only other thing i would mention would be to put the t-sport water pump in as well.

Might be worth thinking about

The 190bhp is, I think, mainly achieved by the addition of a supercharger rather than headwork in this case.

Actually, if I am informed correctly, the 190bhp is achieved by different cams and lift bolts. Don't ask me what lift bolts are and how they work, thats all to new school for me :rolleyes: :lol: .

Lift bolts are bolt that er lift? Hope that helps! (I really need to read up on these Toyota engines they seem to have some clever stuff going on in there.!)

yea im definatly sure it's just head work that boosts it up to 190bhp, i know as i us to be a technician for them (although i was only an apprentice at the time so please dont quote me on anythin lol). Im sure after march 2006 they decided to sell a few corrola's with the 190bhp engine, but super charged which i think upped it to around 215bhp but only a limmited amount of them was sold or at least that is what i heared.

check out this video of clarkson blatting round in a lotus exige that use's the 190bhp toyota angine, and it'll give you a demonsration of what the engine can do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-w89KUAWAE

oh and the lotus computer and the toyota computer is set up pretty much the same just so you know

but my anyone pays out for a celica t-sport amazes me when the corolla t-sport has same engine and horese power.plus its way cheaper!!
toyota sold a compressor t-sport from 04 on i think.hitting in at 215-225 horsepower.
a supercharger in it plus loads of tasty tte bits as standard!!

I think the current celica is ugly too, shame really when you look at the older models. The corolla is the best it has looked for years at the mo.

it's always a matter of personal taste. Telling people you own a Celica generally sounds more impressive than 'I have a Corolla'. (experience from a previous Corolla owner!)

I agree that the new Corolla is the best looking Corolla ever. IS there much to choose from in handling though - I imagine that the Celica is a more firm/sporty ride although most modders will do the suspension on any car.

I was working for my local Toyota dealer when the Generation 7 Celica came out in 2000, and yes the handling of it was superb, you can really sling one around but you could do the same with the earlier models. But the new one gave me back ache after 20-30 min's which suprised me as the earier ones were sooooo comfortable. I had a Generation 5 untill late last year and it was by far the best car I have ever owned its just no good for a family. If you can get the corolla to stick to the road like a celica the I think that would be one hell of a car.

to be honest id preffer the corolla myself, just as long as its the supercharged one :D. im sure you could get the corolla to handle just like a celica would if you played around with the suspension long enough

I own a Gen 7 Celica 190 at the moment. The extra 50bhp on the 140 modesl is achieved by variabled valve lift. The cams have two sets of lobes on them, normal ones and high lift ones. When the engine hits 6100rpm the cams move sideways and the high lift lobes come into play and unleash an extra 50bhp or something of this nature (plus your petrol tank empties about three times as quick). It's very nice in 2nd gear, when you hit 6100rpm it's like being kicked in the spine! As for the T-Sport Corolla being cheaper, I think one of the main reasons is that the Celica is very lightweight and also has different geabox ratios giving it a 0-61 of 7.2 (you can hit it in 2nd in the Celica but Corolla redlines and needs notching into 3rd from what I've read).

are the lift bolts not the things that change the profile of the cam. lift it slightly higher up so the second profile comes on in the same way as hondas vtech works

Easiest way to bigger power to is to sell it and buy something else!! Sorry, they are nice cars but you won't gain a lot by tuning them cheaply. To take the head off, get it skimmed (to increase comp) bigger valves, new cams, upraded head gasket, variable cam pulleys (pair of!!) is going to be 1500 quid + for mabee 15-20 bhp with a remap. Full exhaust going to be a min of 300 quid, decent airfilter min 50 quid. Mapapable fueling / throttle body set up another 1500 quid min!! Prob be better to sell it and put the money for the mods and car towards something a bit more tunable or with the power your after in the first place! The older celica's were much more tunable. Supras are dropping in price, 6k would prob get you a really nice manual turbo (poss even twin turbo) if you look around 300bhp out of the tin! more than you'll get from the celica from the same money. Or Nissan Pulsar, scooby, even a evo. Beleive me you will find the celica a money pit for performance. But if you really want to keep it, give it a sniff of the old gas!! Celica's intrernals are pretty bulletproof and a nitrous kit giving 50 - 75 bhp with a electronic device to slowly up the amount pumped in under full acceleration (pretty essencial to avoid wheel spin and D/Train damage) can be fitted and supplied for around a grand by a pro (try wizzards of nos).

Easiest way to bigger power to is to sell it and buy something else!! Sorry, they are nice cars but you won't gain a lot by tuning them cheaply. To take the head off, get it skimmed (to increase comp) bigger valves, new cams, upraded head gasket, variable cam pulleys (pair of!!) is going to be 1500 quid + for mabee 15-20 bhp with a remap. Full exhaust going to be a min of 300 quid, decent airfilter min 50 quid. Mapapable fueling / throttle body set up another 1500 quid min!! Prob be better to sell it and put the money for the mods and car towards something a bit more tunable or with the power your after in the first place! The older celica's were much more tunable. Supras are dropping in price, 6k would prob get you a really nice manual turbo (poss even twin turbo) if you look around 300bhp out of the tin! more than you'll get from the celica from the same money. Or Nissan Pulsar, scooby, even a evo. Beleive me you will find the celica a money pit for performance. But if you really want to keep it, give it a sniff of the old gas!! Celica's intrernals are pretty bulletproof and a nitrous kit giving 50 - 75 bhp with a electronic device to slowly up the amount pumped in under full acceleration (pretty essencial to avoid wheel spin and D/Train damage) can be fitted and supplied for around a grand by a pro (try wizzards of nos).