Toyota Altezza

00Altezza

Car
Altezza RS200
I recently put a turbo kit on my Altezza. the car has a 3S-GE motor.

i was wondering if anyone on here knew anything about the tuning process or any other upgrades i might need.

i already have the turbo kit and the intercooler installed. but the block is completely stock. also have a Power FC

someone on another website mentioned injectors and fuel pump to start off with.

any information would be nice.

--Also looking for the name of the part that plugs into your ECU and allows to to check and tune with a computer.

It would be a diagnostic lead you are after.

Do you know what power you are running at the moment and how much boost you have? Water injection would be a very good idea and will allow you to increase your boost a little more.

You will need more fuel if you are pushing more air into the engine, it would also be worth getting the head flowed and doing a 3 or 5 angle valve job around the inlets.

i dont have the car running yet.

the only thing i have yet to do is run an oil return line. the guys at the garage i have it in say that i should run a line to the front of the engine to the piece thats right above the oil pan. someone said in one of my posts that i should put a T piece in a line. still kind of wondering what line that would be.

also i have to mount my mass air flow sensor somehow.

i read a turbo post on some good tips and the compression and all that but i guess I'm still a little confused.

ive been told that high compression is a no-no for turbo cars. and anything above 9:1 compression and i can basically watch my motor go boom. however you guys are saying that you slapped a turbo kit on your cars at 9 PSI with everything else stock and have no problems. i just want to make sure that im taking all necessary steps on this. i cannot afford to have a blown engine. im on a super tight schedule and also dont have the best of luck communicating with japanese.

i also spoke with a guy that told me there is a piece that i can connect to my Power FC and then connect it to my computer and tune it that way... (my power fc didnt come with a T-handle). what is that piece called. im fairly good with computers so im wondering if i can just make this piece.

my bumper has also been taken to a guy to get cut up. it has to be modified heavily to fit my intercooler. i think the intercooler is bigger than most for this car. ive tried everything and it has to be cut to fit.

The best way to go will be to very very slowly increase boost. The engine knock sensor will help protect the engine from knock. Use a very high octane fuel as well as this helps to resist knock.

You are right in your assumtion that high compression is bad on turbo engines. The options are to
1) Lower the compression ratio of your engine with somthing along the lines of a stroker kit with low compression pistons.
2) Lower the boost of the turbo.
3) Fit a water injection kit to dampen down the ignition and help combat the problems of knock.

Start off with hardly any boost at all, this is best done on a rolling road really. Then steadily increase the boost to the level your engine can safely handle. (I'm not that familiar with the 3S-GE engine myself so I can't give any specfics.)

There can be other problems with forced induction such as reversion (air flowing the wrong way mid engine rotation) or issues with the injectors not being able to squirt enough fuel in to the high pressure air stream.

The MAF sensor should go fairly close to the manifold for best effect. Some MAFs do not like too much airflow so depending on the boost you are running you may find you need an uprated MAF sensor.

Writing your own map is hard work - there are so many parameters to take into account. You really will save yourself a lot of wasted time and effort if you get the car profesionnaly mapped and set up on a rolling road. There are quite a few tuners out your way that should be able to help with that. I would not even consider writing my own custom map it needs banks of data and comparisions to make it effective.

You'd need to know the voltages and signals involved but if you have this info there is no reason why you can't make your own interface. Personally I'd rather have a tried and tested OEM interface again it will take less time and removes an unnecessary element of risk.