Torsion beams and anti roll bars

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
If a car is fitted with a torsion beam can you still add an anti roll bar and will it be effective?

the torsion beam still has bearings inside it which, depending on how far they are degraded, will allow movement, the anti roll bar should tighten this up?

Torsion beams are generally reserved for the back end of FWD cars and have very good coupling properties in themselves so I cannot see the need for an additional anti-roll bar.

All the ARB does is remove some of the suspension's lateral independence.

Anti roll bars feature at the front of almost every production car. They are a compromise really. All they do is interfere with the independence of the suspension.

They do work, up to a point, but perhaps in 2010 we need to be looking at fully active suspension as the way forward. Citroen has been angling at this since the late 1950s.

Perhaps now, 50 years on, car makers should abandon traditional springs and dampers.

HDi_ have to also consider the cost issue - surely pneumatic systems are much more expensive than traditional spring and dampers? Also when coming to fix them suspect its mightily more costly.

With pneumatic springs it is overall cheaper than coils, and a lot easer to work with, as you can control it as a coil does what it wants. I work with it every day. you will still need dampers not matter what system you go with.

Good point. I think that the gas' adiabatic expansion/compression does provide a small degree of damping (hysterisis is the term for this) but additional damping is usually always required.