TopGear and the Yeti

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What are your thoughts on 1) Skoda and 2) the Yeti after seeing the feature on TopGear at the weekend.

I'm quite impressed and I must admit it's made me look at Skoda in a fresh light!

The Yeti does seem to be an innovative and well featured car. I might even consider owning one myself one day (as long as I can remap it!)

By all accounts the waiting list for Yeti's have gone up and the Skoda website has been struggling to keep up with interest!

one of my customers is on the waiting list for one is getting it in june

but i thought it was a good motor and liked when he stalled it on the hill and did not roll back

I'm not at all impressed. Putting the fact that I dont like Skoda's aside, I have a strong, verry strong feeling Mr Clarkson was paid off to promote the thing. There is nothing spetial about it. Yeah, it might be a nice car, roomy, and what not, but come on.....REALLY?????

I think when top gear asked to test it Mr Skoda paid them not to down rate it.

I mean, he slagged off one of his favourte 4X4's.

I think there is a little more than meats the eye.

I think it's funny that TopGear slag off Audi so much but love Skoda! It's all the VAG group!

If Skoda did pay then they got really good value but don't the BBC have rules about advertising and product placement that they have to adhere to.

Perhaps Clarkson et al just want to fill the world with soft roaders and mini SUV's.

I'm not at all impressed. Putting the fact that I dont like Skoda's aside, I have a strong, verry strong feeling Mr Clarkson was paid off to promote the thing. There is nothing spetial about it. Yeah, it might be a nice car, roomy, and what not, but come on.....REALLY?????

I think when top gear asked to test it Mr Skoda paid them not to down rate it.

I mean, he slagged off one of his favourte 4X4's.

I think there is a little more than meats the eye.

Well aye, you could have done that Top Gear comedy road test against any MPV really.

Was it a review or just a bit of entertainment. It was impressive to see it get up that mud hill but I think all the rest was just for entertainment value.

What kind of idiot gets a permenent tattoo done that looks that bad! I hope he got paid a lot of money!

On your question about Skoda though, I think they have come a long way and I no longer view them as a bargain basement bucket shop. They have some really nice good value cars in their lineup.

I had been thinking about the tattoo and the only explanation I can come up with is that he was going to have a big back piece of some sort done anyway, thus covering those ones up. Wonder how much he got paid!

Skoda certainly has moved up in the world. I had a customer in with a new shape Skoda Superb a few weeks ago and it was pretty damn nice inside!

Personally I don't believe they actually did the second tattoo.
Did anyone else hear the tattooist shout out that he stabbed himself with the tattoo gun?
If he did actually do the tat then he should of changed the needle after catching himself but he quite clearly didn't.

I think it's funny that TopGear slag off Audi so much but love Skoda! It's all the VAG group!

If Skoda did pay then they got really good value but don't the BBC have rules about advertising and product placement that they have to adhere to.

Skoda don't produce anywhere near the same volume as Audi, and seem to have one of the highest QC standards of the "mundane" brands in VAG. Indeed, TG mag considers Skoda's build quality to be the equal of Mercedes-Benz in the good old days.

Getting back to BigBadJoe's comment much would Skoda have to have paid for the 23 awards the Yeti garnered last year for that matter?

Sorry BigBadJoe, but you seem to have a biased streak a mile wide when it comes to Skoda.

Bought a yeti three years ago as workhorse. More people stopped my wife and I to talk about it than ever happened with either her 911 or my race prepped Elise. Moral - if you want to make new friends get a Skoda. It has proven to be not just practical and reliable but surprisingly quick. It is also a brilliant snub to badge snobs. Best car I have bought.

Which engine does yours have? How comfortable are the seats on long journeys? Any buying tips?

Which engine does yours have? How comfortable are the seats on long journeys? Any buying tips?

I bought the 1.8tsi the same engine as in some golfs and the base Audi TT. The ecu remap now gives over 210 bhp and astonishing torque. Everyone who travels in it is amazed by how quick it is and how well it handles. Evo mag ran one as a long termer and raved about it. It's an ugly but square box but idid not buy it for looks or prestige. its a workhorse that also makes a brilliant Q car. Seats remarkably comfortable - never had any back aches.
It is a hidden gem thankfully ignored by badge snobs.