Top 5 automatic transmissions

I do like the TCT boxes. They're very likely the future of automatics. The Guiletta I test drove had one and it was snappy and seamless.

Have to say though, the 5gtronic old school box in my C class is nice. If you put it in Sport mode changes are quick enough, but in Comfort you literally only notice them by the change in the engine revs. It has a tiptronic mode if you can be bothered. It could just do with 5th being a little longer though.

My friend who's taking delivery of a 12week old E-class on Saturday will have the new 9g box. He says on his test drive he couldn't notice the changes as it's all preselected, and only doing 1500rpm at 80 was amazing.

I am still a lingering fan of torque converter transmissions. Provided 5 gears or more, under ECU management and automatic torque converter lockup there's a lot by to recommend them. They're much kinder to engines, final drives and DMFs than other systems. I do think though that the twin clutch arrangements will win eventually, due to lower build costs and lower weight. Progress is always good.

They're not that slushy now though. I even had a 1998 Primera auto, with just 4 forward ratios but if anything the torque converter was ridiculously savage from a standstill. In Tokyo probably essential to get the car above 10mph before anchoring up again :)

My Dad had (in 1977) a 1977 Fiat Mirafiori Estate (badged Panorama) with a 3 speed Borg Warner. 1585cc pushrod engine. 68bhp. That was slushy. To this day he hates automatics. Having driven precisely one automatic car.

I am sold on the modern paddleshift 2 plate, 6 gear auto boxes. They have come a long way and do a better job than a well trained driver in most conditions. I can't see any downside apart from the extra initial cost.

You old men with your electric cars, and comfortable slippers!

(This is just me pretending to be young still!)

My Passat is a standard 6spd manual. I needed a 2nd user car in a hurry and this was available. Preference is automatic. Bought my first auto at the age of 27 tho :/