Tool Kit

A good quality jack, set of spanners/sockets and a decent selection of screwdrivers. Spare fuses and bulbs would also be good but I'm dreaming here. Most companies cut corners wherever they can.

2 headed screwdriver with 17mm box spanner on the end
2 ended spanner 10 and 13mm
and a widow maker jack

oohh and a bit of bent wire to remove the wheel caps

i'm forever replacing the sockets,.....i'm always dropping them down the engine bay and they end up somewhere you can reach without removing something, so wish they would include a socket set with a string attached llf

Would do it myself but too lazy to tie string around them lol

Most modern cars don't have tool kits for the simple reason that the manufacturers have made the car beyond the scope of an everyday tool box. Combine that with the fact that they make their money by relying on the owner taking the car to the main line garage for servicing/repairs.
Years ago all you needed was a few quids worth of tools, a set of plugs and a set of points and you'd do a roadside repair in ten minutes. Nowadays you can't even fault find without the right electronic gadgets, well you can but it takes ages in most cases as you're back to basic fault finding but on sealed components, most of which are not repairable.

You all say this but modern cars are incredibly reliable.

No longer do we need an engine decoke and partial rebuild every 10,000 miles or so.

Does any one of us really want to drive a car that needs more than the occasional opening of the bonnet to refill the washer tank?

I've dumped all mine to keep weight down, spare tyres and all. That's what the AA is for! :lol: I've got the towing hook and a little scrwdriver thing in case any boost pipes pop off and that's it.

W8 first-aid box built into side of the boot contains:

> VagCom diagnostic cable
> Spare Coil Pack/Pen
> Allen Key to split intake manifold

Most common failure on that car is coil pack going causing 1 cylinder to miss. I've sick of getting stuck, but I am too cheap to replace all 8!! I've replaced 5 of 8 now, so only 3 more failures to go! That said, by the time I've done all 8, I bet the first goes again!

This is a common sight on my drive...
100_4188.JPG