To remap or not? Hmmm??

MsEditor

Tuner
Hi guys,

It's been a while since I posted but knew where to come for the answer I'm looking for..

Ok just sold my golf 1.8t that had been remapped and was very quick.. Bought a girlie car audi a4 1.8t sport convertible which is lovely and smooth and doesn't break my back now that I'm an old git! But.. It's seems sloooow

In all honesty the reason I changed was to go for a softer more relaxed ride and keep my driving license ... Eek!

I can't decide whether to just get used to the comfort and take it easy or remap it and get a bit more power??

I've already bought new wheels and now looking at a body kit.. And I've only had it two days!!!

So, should I try and grow old gracefully or say sod it and go for it?

Many thanks and hope everyone is well :)

How much more power can you realistically get from an a4 though?
If its not much then it probably won't be that noticeable.
Then again if its cheap enough then what have you got to lose? If it still feels slow after then it depends what you really want from a car. Speed or comfort.

How much more power can you realistically get from an a4 though?
If its not much then it probably won't be that noticeable.
Then again if its cheap enough then what have you got to lose? If it still feels slow after then it depends what you really want from a car. Speed or comfort.

Well it's the same engine as my golf but don't know what the weight difference is and as I never tuned the golf I'm not sure what else was done to it apart from the exhaust upgrade

As for power or comfort that's my problem really - if I start upgrading everything ill end up doing the suspension and I know at that point my husband will ask why I bothered changing from the golf?

I've only ever had tuned, lowered cars and now I feel like I'm driving a boat having spent 6 grand!!

Maybe I need to try and get used to it.. It's just not as much fun!!

not quite the same engine theres a few differnces due to it being mounted the other way.

bearing in mind the a4 will weigh in around 300kgs minimum heavier as im guessing it will be a quattro. so its not going to be as nimble as the golf was
remap it, get a downpipe and get rid of the OEM diverter valve for a decent forge one and enjoy ;)

not quite the same engine theres a few differnces due to it being mounted the other way.

bearing in mind the a4 will weigh in around 300kgs minimum heavier as im guessing it will be a quattro. so its not going to be as nimble as the golf was
remap it, get a downpipe and get rid of the OEM diverter valve for a decent forge one and enjoy ;)

I didn't think it would be as nimble and had no idea on the weight difference - so if I do as you outline above how much difference do you think it will make? Enough to warrant the spend?

Thanks guys ;)

Oh forgot to say - garage I bought it from just replaced the diverter valve earlier this week.. I bet they put an oem one on there.. Wish I'd known I would of got them to put the forge one on instead!!

That'll learn me for not posting on here sooner!!!!

The rule of thumb for remapping is:

N/A petrol around 10% increase
Turbo petrol around 20-25%
Turbo diesel around 40%

depending on the engine fitted around 200-215 as it will depend on what turbo is fitted.
basically anything after 03 should make around 210 with just the remap. sports cat and downpipe will help get the turbo spooling alot quicker and give a little extra

not sure on the newer 1.8 tfsi however but id be shocked if its less than 200

Remap it as soon as. There aren't any downsided to a SENSIBLE remap. If you turn up the turbo to 11 then aye, you'll blow it up along with your cluth, but if you respects the limits and specs you'll be grand.

It would be rude not to remap it really, there is so much easy power there. It is also possible to improve the ride quality without fitting really stiff suspension. A decent set of coilovers and anti roll bar set up would work wonders. You could always get a switchable remap and choose which one you need for your next journey?

(Welcome back, nice to hear from you and glad the spirit of modding is still in you.)