tires!! help :D

tomsa3

Tuner
Car
a3 1.8T
i have 16 inch wheel on my car at the moment the tires are currently goodyear eagle ncts (brilliant) but they have stopped making them :( the replacement is the goodyear excellence i was wonderin if any1 has fitted them to there car ?? how do they act do they wear easily etc

other than that ive been lookin at other options (cheaper but good reviews)
apperently nankangs are really good but wear quite quickly also the perelli p6000 have a nice pattern and have quite good reviews ??? any other makes i should be looking at

last thing is that currently the tire size is 205 55 16 i was wonderin if it was worth upping the thickness to maybe a 225 and lowerin the wall size to maybe a 45 or 50 i know this would change my speedo but faster acceleration and more grip ??? pricey but hopefully worth it :D

dont like the p6000 that much
nankangs are not to bad
one tyre i always try and get is the nexen are a good tyre handle well wear well
and cheap

Not sure on price but michellins primacy tyre's are very good indeed.
They wear well too. I drive my car quite hard and the fronts lasted 20 odd thousand miles. And the rears have just been changed at just under 30000 miles. And trust me I do drive it quite hard most of the time.

The P6000 is rubbish. It's been around for far too many years and is outclassed by many low rent tyres now. Never mind quality ones.

If you oversize and change down the height/width ratio you will keep the speedo accurate anyway. I can forward you a little spreadsheet I knocked up years ago which will show the overall diameter of any rim/tyre combination. Also be careful with insurance. If you fit a tyre whose size is not suggested by the manufacturer you MIGHT, have problems in the event of a claim.

Don't go mad though, there's usually little benefit in grip terms and the money would, in my opinion, be better spent on a set of high quality standard size tyres.

I have Nexen N2000's on the rear of my E39 (fitted by first owner, not by me) and they seem OK but nothing special.

One tyre I would consider if you want to keep the price down is the Lassa Impetus Sport. It's a directional pattern and looks disturbingly similar to the Bridgestone Potenza RE-720 which I loved on the Peugeot 406. The car destroyed the front ones far too fast though, remapped FWD diesel cars deliver far too much torque, in my opinion.

They are made in the same factory as the Bridegstones (were made) and Lassa is owned by Bridgestone so this adds credibility to the brand.

I have these on the front of the E39 at the moment and they are very impressive. Quiet and grippy; wear seems OK too, but I'm not a savage driver and I've had a full four wheel alignment done so they should stack up well in that regard.

I think the problem is that midrange tyres now are getting very very good indeed and they are now arguably equal to a new premium branded tyre bought five years ago.

But the premium brands move on relentlessly as well.

If you can find the cash then Conti's Premium Contact 2 is brilliant. Arrow straight and with superb initial turn in and ride comfort.

I have allways rated Vredestein Sportrac's highly. They allways come first or second in the auto express tyre guide and I never found them to be too expensive compared to the equivalent performing tyres. Have a read here. www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/total_tyre_guide/213186/tyre_guide.html

I'll look at these next time I need tyres. Vredestein used to supply many Volvo OEM tyres and it's a bit of an unsung hero it appears.

Much as Bridgestone was ten-fifteen years ago.

The other brand of which I'd like an opinion is Uniroyal. They hammered the 'rain-tyre' thing for most of the late 1980s. Given that I live in England, where we drive on wet roads over 60% of the time I might as well consider buying a true all rounder, rather than an all-season (which usually means dry season) tyre.

Have a look at the Vredestein Quatrac 3 if you want a true all season tyre. The outer half is designed for summer use (ie more rubber to road contact) and the inside half has large grooves to disperse mud and snow.

I think people rave a bit to much about bridgestone, michelin and pirelli (maybe due to F1). There are pleanty of tire's out there that can preform the same/better. I have Toyo Proxies T1R on my car, but they would be no good for yourself, not for the type of tire you seem to want. I would maby read some revews on some of the tires HDI has mentioned. I would say the best "budget" tyre out there is the Hancook Optimo, never heard a bad thing about them. Plus you should get a few miles off them!! :D

I'm also not impressed by the Pirelli P6000's. In the wet and mud the car felt postively dangerous.

I'm using Dunlop SP Sport MAXX at the moment and these are performing well and are only classed as a budget tyre. They last around 2-3 years and have good grip on the bends under heavy cornering.

Goodyear Eagle F1's are my favourite tyres but they are (or were when I bought them) quite soft and only lasted about a year.