tires for TR-6

tonto

I'm stateside- New Hamshire and new to this forum.
I recently purchased a very nice 74 TR - 6 which I adore. It has 185 R Michelin X - Redlines on 5" wire wheels. Although they are "correct", almost new and look wonderful, they handle poorly with 20-21 lbs pressure up front and 24-25 lbs on the rear as speced by Triumph. The previous owner (still a friend) says that they handle better than the old tires did- they were Goodyear Tiempo. but his opinion may have been influenced by having paid $180 a piece for them- ouch!

I'm tempted to change to a 205R65 profile on the advice of a savy Healey 3000 owner friend who says it made his car handle dramatically better with a similar change. The spare in the trunk is a 205R65 so it loks like they would fit. Comments/sugestions would be qappreciated.

thanks, Tonto

change to

Are you looking at changing the rims or just the tyres? _ Have you tried our Alloy wheel size calculator in Tuning/Alloy wheels article?

waynne said:
Are you looking at changing the rims or just the tyres? _ Have you tried our Alloy wheel size calculator in Tuning/Alloy wheels article?

I want to change the rubber but retain the wire rims. I understand that I'll need to run tubes to keep air in the tires.

I'll check the tech article. thanks.

Be careful with that - you can only put a tube in certain types of tyre - most modern ones are tubeless and have ridges inside the tyre that will wear through the inner tube.