tips on getting more hp

yawblacklabel

Car
mitsubishi 3000gt
i have a 97' protege lx and i want to get at least 200 hp out of itany tips would be appreciated

if your going down the turbo route you will need to look at strenghing the whole engine.
shorter forged conrods to lower the compression, forged crank.
can the liners be bored ?
you might be better swapping out the 1.5 for another engine. do you get the mazda 3 in the US it comes with a 2.3 turbo ? or even a 2.0 would give you a better base to start from ( think the mazda 2.0s give around 140 bhp to start with ).
just remember to uprate the brakes and suspension to take the new weight

so your saying it would be more work to add in a turbo than to just swap the engine ... yea we got 3's the trouble would be just be finding the engine (junk yards over by me suk)wont i also need to change the gear box drive train and??... and will it fit in my car??

adding a turbo itself wont be much work, but adding the turbo properly so you dont blow the engine the 1st time you drive it will be. the whole engine will need stripped down and rebuilt stonger and with lower compression, then theres the clutch and gearbox to think of will it take all the extra abuse, not on the power but more the torque.

yeah youd need the engine gearbox ecu and if possible hubs and brakes. you may need custom driveshafts built. best find a rear ended one.

as for will it fit, sorry mate no idea remember i had to google your car to find out what it was

"as for will it fit, sorry mate no idea remember i had to google your car to find out what it was"

lol no worries youve been real helpful

if your going down the turbo route you will need to look at strenghing the whole engine.
shorter forged conrods to lower the compression, forged crank.
can the liners be bored ?
you might be better swapping out the 1.5 for another engine. do you get the mazda 3 in the US it comes with a 2.3 turbo ? or even a 2.0 would give you a better base to start from ( think the mazda 2.0s give around 140 bhp to start with ).
just remember to uprate the brakes and suspension to take the new weight

Mate you seem to have little knowledge or experience on the subject when you say "shorter forged conrods to lower compression "

For a start shorter rods with stock pin height pistons WILL lower the CR BUT will alter the rod ratio and place more side thrust on the piston skirts.

Yes shorter rods with stock pin heights will lower the CR with STOCK pistons due to the pistons not being level with top the block BUT will they handle the increased loads imposed when turbo boost pressures are introduced ? they may but I would not recommend it.

The correct/best way to lower the CR for a turbo motor is to install FORGED pistons with a bowl/hollow in the crown to get the desired CR. along with forged rods for the best result IMO

Most stock cranks will handle vastly more power so there is little need to use an aftermarket crank as my 4G63 motor origianlly had 120 hp ATW and now has 387 HP ATW using a factory crank.

However if funds allow you can install a forged crank that may be lighter and stronger than factory and reduce the rotating weight that will make the motor more responsive.

Last edited: