Tips for spraying metallic paint

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Just a quick question as I will be helping a friend repair her car soon and it has metallic paint.

After I spray on the metallic paint
do I flat it, apply the clear coat or do
I flat it, polish it and then apply the clear coat?

Does clear coat still need to be polished?

I'm really not sure about metallic paints? Also which is the paint code? There is a sticker in the boot (VW Polo) with loads of numbers on it but it's not clear which is the paint code?

Just a quick question as I will be helping a friend repair her car soon and it has metallic paint.

After I spray on the metallic paint
do I flat it, apply the clear coat or do
I flat it, polish it and then apply the clear coat?

Does clear coat still need to be polished?

I'm really not sure about metallic paints? Also which is the paint code? There is a sticker in the boot (VW Polo) with loads of numbers on it but it's not clear which is the paint code?

What i do with mine is:

once sprayed, wet flat it down so it's dull, then apply the clear coat, as this is what brings the shine out.
you only need to polish the clear coat if there's an over spray or needs blending in, and ideally you have to wait a week or so to do it.
Not sure where the paint code is on a VW - but mine is on the plate under the bonnet - if he goes to Halfrauds, they have a colour coded book ;)

dont flatten the colour before the applying the clear.
if you do need to flatten the colour coat then give it a dusting over the top otherwise the flatten are will show through

dont polish the clear coat until its cured, give it a couple of weeks if you dont have access to an oven

yup you need some heaters or else you cant bare the cracks.....i am an experienced one in this....please do take care about this!!

I got to much ££££ it seems.

I just take mine to my man TJ's and give him £100. £100 seems to fix everything. By the time I do it, then mess it up, then pay TJ to fix it, then I may as well just go to him in the first place! lol

I got to much ££££ it seems.

I just take mine to my man TJ's and give him £100. £100 seems to fix everything. By the time I do it, then mess it up, then pay TJ to fix it, then I may as well just go to him in the first place! lol
I've now found a little man who does similarly, perfect repairs for very little money! The spray shop sees me about once a year for a tidyup.

You may want to consider having the car wrapped instead of painted. It will probably cost the same but you can change it up without damaging the original paint.