Torque Cars

Tips for spraying metallic paint

Discussion in 'The Paintshop' started by obi_waynne, 25 January 2012.

1. obi_waynne

obi_waynne Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
    Just a quick question as I will be helping a friend repair her car soon and it has metallic paint.

After I spray on the metallic paint
    do I flat it, apply the clear coat or do
    I flat it, polish it and then apply the clear coat?

Does clear coat still need to be polished?

I'm really not sure about metallic paints? Also which is the paint code? There is a sticker in the boot (VW Polo) with loads of numbers on it but it's not clear which is the paint code?

2. dagger

dagger The Torque Meister

sheffield
    Car:
    Nissan Primera S.I.

What i do with mine is:

once sprayed, wet flat it down so it's dull, then apply the clear coat, as this is what brings the shine out.
    you only need to polish the clear coat if there's an over spray or needs blending in, and ideally you have to wait a week or so to do it.
    Not sure where the paint code is on a VW - but mine is on the plate under the bonnet - if he goes to Halfrauds, they have a colour coded book ;)

3. 777radmir777

777radmir777 Full member

Canada, Toronto
    Car:
    Wv golf mk4 gti 1.8
    http://www.automotivetouchup.com/paint-codes/volkswagen.htm

Here you Can find locations and how the code looks like
    Even with metallic paint you should put few layers do not forget about flash time between coats, DO NOT polish it after, clean with tack rack and put clear coat, after few coats, let it dry and after week or two you can polish it

4. pgarner

pgarner TC ModFather Moderator

Lockerbie, SW Scotland
    Car:
    Octy smoke machine
    dont flatten the colour before the applying the clear.
    if you do need to flatten the colour coat then give it a dusting over the top otherwise the flatten are will show through

dont polish the clear coat until its cured, give it a couple of weeks if you dont have access to an oven

5. turbonutter69

turbonutter69 TC ModFather Moderator

Alone in the dark.
    Car:
    Insignia SRI.
    In this weather Waynne you'll need some heaters otherwise you risk the paint cracking and such.

6. lesithmaria

lesithmaria New member

USA
    Car:
    Ford ICON
    yup you need some heaters or else you cant bare the cracks.....i am an experienced one in this....please do take care about this!!

7. bigbadjoe

bigbadjoe Pro Tuner

Elgin - Scotland
    Car:
    Evo 8 @ 400bhp
    I got to much ££££ it seems.

I just take mine to my man TJ's and give him £100. £100 seems to fix everything. By the time I do it, then mess it up, then pay TJ to fix it, then I may as well just go to him in the first place! lol

8. obi_waynne

obi_waynne Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
    I've now found a little man who does similarly, perfect repairs for very little money! The spray shop sees me about once a year for a tidyup.

9. Rvinyl

Rvinyl Wrench Pro

NYC
    Car:
    BMW 3-Series 2005
    You may want to consider having the car wrapped instead of painted. It will probably cost the same but you can change it up without damaging the original paint.