Tips for my loved golf - need upgrade options

MissB

Car
VW Golf Mark4 TDI
ive driven a mark4 golf 1.9 tdi 130bhp, increased to 265 bhp, intercooler from evo lancer, turbo from bmw 3.0 diesel, remapped, this car had nothing else added to it, all standard, it was eating wrx subaru's off the road, the guy who done the work is torquetronix, based in northern ireland, that little car was lethal, he upgraded the suspension, he had to, it was slapping the road through the gears, fun.
I have a 2003 mk4 TDI, manual 1.9. I planned to upgrade the turbo, injectors and have re-done the suspension 3 times because it's so fun, ;) I guess I should have gone for the upgrade *giggles* she's very well maintained it to the tune of 2,000+ CAD every year, she runs like a dream, and this car has so much potential.

My rockers are rusting out BAD and I'm hitting a wall on what is worth doing. I LOVE MY CAR. I don't even know how to source a "shell" of this car to do a motor swap, but I'm looking for any advice. or commiseration? LOL, this is the toughest decision of my life LOL.

They are great engines, and some argue that the 1.9 TDi is the best engine VW have made for quite a long time.

It's certainly worth upgrading and improving what you have. A new head will address the issue with the rockers and could potentially give a bit more power if flowed and port matched.

A turbo upgrade and remap are all you really need to hit very silly power figures on these, but you might also need to improve the injectors and pump and head bolts.

A lot comes down to what your budget is.