Tints

Hayley1

Road Burner
Car
Vauxhall Astra SXI
My windows are already tinted, but they've just got a light smoke all round.
So there not exactly tinted, baring in mind the cars red, how dark do you think i should go all round?

you can only go as far as 30% tint (70% light must pass through) on the fronts chances are hayley you will find that the front might already be near this limit

you can only go as far as 30% tint (70% light must pass through) on the fronts chances are hayley you will find that the front might already be near this limit

You also need to be aware that standard window glass is often already tinted to around 20%, so a 30% tint will make glass illegal!

To appeciate just how much light a standard window stops, wind one down half way and compare the view with and without the glass in the way.

I've got 20% on the back. Anything on the front is actually illegal.

You can go no lower than 70% transmission (30% attenuation of visible light) for front windscreen and front door sides.

Most tinted factory glass is close to this anyway so front windows have to be left alone.

In the rear side and rear screen there is no requirement at all, which is strange given that millions of years ago it was common to fit car derived vans with rear seats and glass panels simply because as a van it attracted insurance group 1 rating.

So, technically you can paint all the rear quarters matt black without infringeing the requirement for rear vision.

I quite like the 80% visible light attenuation glass fitted to the rear and rear sides of some current saloons and hatchbacks. Toyota's Avensis is a good example, as is the current Vectra estate (sadly, that's a very unpleasant car to drive)

Yeah front tints are illegal, but ive never been stopped for mine, so maybe just stick with the light ones on the front.And maybe a little bit darker on the back.
i think it looks silly with hardly not tint on the front and then completely black at the back unless the car is black.

did we not have a conversation similer to this a while ago about front tints being illegal but roughly all cars come with standard front thinks

Yup, but they quickly slip down the list so new members aren't aware.

most people arnt, i couldnt remember is it was 25% or 30% so did a quick search.
1st site google gave me still said that 70% must pass through and that was a tinting service themselves. they also warned that any more and customers could have to remove them at the roadside

Hayley have you thought about those half an half tints for the rear. Black at the bottom then fades into a mirror finish at the top. I think these tints look trick.

Hayley have you thought about those half an half tints for the rear. Black at the bottom then fades into a mirror finish at the top. I think these tints look trick.

WOW!!! Didn't realise you could get ones like that, think I'm going to have a look for them!! Cheers TN

i think they should make it legal to have a light ting on the front, i mean seriously what harm does it do, you can see fine out of it, doesnt really affect your view

i think they should make it legal to have a light ting on the front, i mean seriously what harm does it do, you can see fine out of it, doesnt really affect your view

Daytime, no real problem. However at night, when you need all the light you can get, tints can be a real problem.

Safety first, style second.

as usual, OG , completely agree. Front screen and front sides do, as PG has confirmed have to pass a minimum of 70% visible light, so clearly this is what factory tints will do. It's hard to quantify how much is 70% given one's eyes adjust constantly to accommodate different lighting.

I assume that there is a specific test with a light metering device that confirms this. THere must surely be a set of standards or guidelines somewhere that define what is actually measured. It's as subjective as the apparent loudness of sound.

I am not a styling person, in case anyone hasn't noticed, but I do like the appearance of the high cut rear side and quarter tints available. These are quite lawful for road use in the UK.

It's possible that they make foward vision better due to the increased contrast ratio apparent to the driver if interior of the car is slightly darker as a result.

Daytime, no real problem. However at night, when you need all the light you can get, tints can be a real problem.

Safety first, style second.

i have no problem at ll with my front smoke at night, i can see fine but i suppose i see where you comin from, it could case more accidents

With tints you have to be careful, It all depends what mood the cop is in to weather he stops you or not.

I am unsure as to what the current law is on the % of tint allowed on certain windows, but i would advise double checking what it is before you shell out cash on more tints

My windows are already tinted, but they've just got a light smoke all round.
So there not exactly tinted, baring in mind the cars red, how dark do you think i should go all round?
ive had limo black all round on the back to stop people seein in and light smoke on the front looks good but would av prefered all round limo but as usual the cops r stoppin us doin wot we want to do 2 our own cars,iv been pulled once, he said oh sorry wen u drove past i actually thought they looked darker that than, have a safe journey, i do no they allegal but if ur a girl which u clearly r by ur name just smile sweetly batter ur eye lids and off u go

ive had limo black all round on the back to stop people seein in and light smoke on the front looks good but would av prefered all round limo but as usual the cops r stoppin us doin wot we want to do 2 our own cars,iv been pulled once, he said oh sorry wen u drove past i actually thought they looked darker that than, have a safe journey, i do no they allegal but if ur a girl which u clearly r by ur name just smile sweetly batter ur eye lids and off u go

It's not the Police that prohibit you from installing tints it's the government. And it is to do with road safety. It would be like driving with sunglasses on at night. But saying that I would have mine Limo all round if I was to tint the Rover.

ive noticed that on the inside, whether i look out the light smoke or blacked out, i can see just a clear out each