Timing belt change

dirtdevildemon

Car
gto twin turbo
Oh god it's just one thing after another.
I want to change the timing belt just to be sure, but im hearing you need to change the water pump,the idler & the tensioner, is this right.

it is highly advised on most cars, as when the belt is tensioned they are under pressure from the belt. once the tension is released (when taking the belt off) the pressure is released. then when you put the new belt on you will be reapplying the pressure, which could weaken the parts in question.

better safe than sorry, eh?

Surely you did'nt think that you could run a twin turbo'd GTO on shirt buttons currency? :lol:
Change everything now! I shudder to think about the possible damage to the Beast if you do not!

Just to add some info on this topic. I have no idea how many cambelt changes i have done on these cars, rather a lot is probably an understatement. Anyway, i have yet to do a belt job or head rebuild simply because the belt has failed of it's own accord. They just don't break. The items which fail and cause the belt to break are all other components in the belt system. The water pump fails and siezes and the belt just burns through on it. The same goes for the tensioning pulley and the idler pulley. The hydraulic tensioner itself loses pressure and fails, which makes the belt go slack, it then jumps cams. These are all individual scenarios which is why it is always recommended to change the full system. I also renew the thermostat at the same time, why not, they can fail too so change it.
I realise that this is an old post but i thought i'd add the info whilst i'm here.

I just did the cam belt on my car together with thermostat, water pump, tensioner and all rollers for the peace of mind, and because to do any of them you have to take the whole front off the car off.
It is highly advisable on most cars as Olley said and it's really better to spend a bit more and have it don properly then later regret that.