Tigra max C20LET or other

pallemans

Car
Tigra 1.6 16V
Hi fellow tuners,

I recently became a Tigra owner, which besides the exterior styling, is pretty factory default. So I believe it has a standard X16CE 1.6L 16V engine, that has less than 100 horsepower, right?

If I would like to upgrade my Tigra to over 300 horsepower, what should I do?
I've read that, for starters, I would need a (calibra's) C20LET engine (a RED TOP version), right?
If it would need to have a complete new engine, is it possible to put in an engine from a different carbrand? Like a V8 Chevy or so? Or has it something to do with size?

If it maximum can only hold a C20LET as being the 'biggest' engine for a Tigra, where should I look for to get my hands on a Red Top C20LET Turbo and all the other parts necessary to make my Tigra 300+ hp?

And overall: What all has to be done, engine-wise / mechanic-wise, to change my Tigra into a powerfull race-car with 0-100 under 5 / 6 sec.?

Kind Regards,

Pallemans

Hi there and welcome to TorqueCars.

Anything is possible as they say what you need to work out is if it is worth the effort.

Generally if this is your first swap stick with Vauxhall engines, get an engine and gearbox as a set. A Corsa engine is easier as you will have the right mounts but for big power you are looking at Cavalier, Calibra and Vectra engines with the Turbos being the most powerful choices.

Remember though that your car is FWD and putting over 300hp through the front wheels will be very difficult due to loss of traction.

A Corsa engine is easier as you will have the right mounts but for big power you are looking at Cavalier, Calibra and Vectra engines with the Turbos being the most powerful choices.

Hi and cheers for your reply.

So if I would go for a Corsa engine, will it be a C20LET 2.0l 16V Turbo (Red Top) engine? Or can you only find these engines in Calibra's from a certain year?

Also 2 big questions remain:
Where can a man score a C20LET 2.0l 16V Turbo (Red Top) engine? Are they still being made, or do I have to get a second hand one from a second hand Corsa B, Calibra or one from a scrap yard?
And how much would we look at buying an old C20LET engine and 6 speed gearbox (F28???) ?

Kind Regards,
Pallemans

The biggest Corsa engine (and I'm prepared to stand corrected) is the 1.8 Sxi.

The scrappy is your best bet, although while you have the engine I would get it stripped down and rebuilt before going in the Corsa.

Prices vary a lot, sometimes you get lucky. Wait for the snow and ice - that normally means some low speed damaged cars get written off.

I had a MK2 GTE 16V turbo and MK3 GSI 16V Turbo, both obviously C20 LET's, had a lot of running issues if i'm honest!

I would recommend that you tune your own engine (if in good condition of course) maybe with some carbs instead of the injection unit and some cams too, it will fly and give you reliability too, you will have to get driveshafts fabricated and try to shoe horn a LET in there and with traction issues, it's not worth it, tune yours then save for a faster car :D

ETA

Also, many many many Calibra / Cav turbos have already been stripped apart for their engines and also you have to think about gearboxes, the F28 6 speed box would have to be converted to front wheel drive (about hundred quid) aswell, your best bet is to buy a Calibra / Cav turbo is one piece that is running, take all the bits off it and scrap the rest!!

Last edited:
standard engine in the tigra iirc is the x16xe.

a redtop is the 2L 16V engine as used in cav sri's, calibra 16v's, astra gte 16v's etc, but yes this is used as the base for a c20LET engine.

TBH, and this is only my opinion,in a Tigra, a tuned redtop will be more than enough power! a decent redtop (20XE, C20XE) can be found in a number of places, i wouldnt recommend a scrappies as the engines are usually sat around for a while doing nothing.

try ebay, theres always a few redtops on there. or try Migweb.co.uk, its a performance vauxhall site, and i know for a fact there are at least 3 redtops currently up for sale. also a few C20LET 's if you really want to go down that route.

i would have to agree that a LET engine tuned over the 300BHP mark willhave reliability issues, unless you have a massive massive budget!
if it were me id get a C20XE, with a coscast head, much more reliable than GM ones, have the head ported and polished, some fast road cams, k&n panel filter (redtops dont tend to like induction kits, makes them lumpy on tickover and most actually lose power due to hot air) ecotec induction pipe mod,enlarged throttle body, full stainless exhaust and ecu remap. should see you good for a RELIABLE 170 - 180 BHP.

after that if you want more power theres always R1 bike carbs and stand alone MBE engine management, set up right your looking about the 220-230BHP mark, which in a car that weighs little over a tonne, will be very very nice indeed! strip out the rear, lower it and strut brace all round and you'll have a little monster with plenty enough power that will handle great too. hope that helps!

Good tips there Pikey. I'll pass them on to my mate whos thinking of doing this as a project. We were only talking about it the other day together.