TIG Welders

old-git

Car
Elan & Robin Hood
Thinking of buying a TIG welder but know very little about them apart from it has to be able to use both AC and DC and have a square wave pattern.

Anyone out there know about these things and can recommend anything? Not looking for a cheap 'Halfords' hobby solution but can't afford an all singing/all dancing 'professional' unit. Ideally below £500.

Unfortunately not, Oz. It is only produces DC and you need AC to weld aluminium, but thanks for looking.

Thanks again T9.

First one I think is still only DC.

The second one looks more like it but you forgot the VAT, so it is actually £737.90 :-(

If I have to spend that much, then so be it, but I would rather not. Anyone out there actually got a TIG welder?

Sorry about that, I will ask one of my contractors who is a stainless steel kitchen manufacturer if he has any suggestions around your budget figure.

Happy TIG welding
weldingmask.gif

Thanks for that, Stamford. Not many buttons or dials, so that is good :)

Doesn't mention whether it is square sinewave or not.

The TIG you mention that you use is a little out of my price range :)

You can't have a square sine wave. I'm going to look into this. I know nothing about welding. I can't do it. (I can cut pretty well with one but's not really the idea).

Is AC required so the machine can use pulse width modulation to control the arc temperature?

AC is required as one one side of the pulse cleans and the other welds, apparently. AC "back and forth" cycle helps blow oxides off the weld pool.

Last edited:
Just found this, Stamford:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eastwood-20...F8&qid=1361396144&sr=8-1-fkmr0#productDetails

It is actually sold by Frost for £599 including VAT delivered. On the face of it it looks like what I am after. Frost also do a welding cart for £52.50 which I think I would treat myself to.

What do you think?

The spec reads back as capable and has the capacity as similar higher specification units. If I were looking I would probably go for that, pity there are no reviews with that link.

Thanks Stamford.

I have read reviews on the Eastwood site. Mostly positive but a few question its reliability. Only time can confirm that. I think I will take a chance as I will be buying from from a British company (Frost) I have an account with so there will be no trying to send it back to China :)

You don't hang about OG :amazed: I thought you would still be trawling the reviews and then getting a 2nd opinion before you parted with your hard earned ;)

I hope it works out for you :)

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back