Thumping (drum being hit sound ) noise when pressing car brakes then scraping un-watch

FastLife91

Torque Junkie
Car
Ford Focus mk2
I just drove home, just a mile or so before getting home I hear a loud thump every time I press my brake pedal from rear of my car. It literally sounds like somebody hitting a drum with a stick.

Then as I was around the corner from home I hear a scraping sound. I checked rear disc and it looks as though it has a small score but not enough to cause any harm so I will not drive it until it is fixed. It wasn't scored previously, The pads/discs and calipers were only changed a few weeks ago.

Earlier today someone was messing with the caliper return spring as handbrake felt slack, after messing with spring handbrake felt good holding on 3 clicks instead of 6.
I assume whatever the issue is now is a result of the caliper return spring ?

Take the car back to the person who was messing with the caliper and get things checked. Could be simple as a stone got lodged in there but brakes are essential and you should not risk it. In fact, get the person who was messing around with the caliper to come to you.

Last edited:
It may just need a little copper grease to lube the mechanism, "but if you don't know what you're doing the last thing you should do is apply grease anywhere near the brakes."

Go back to the people who fitted the discs and pads, you shouldn't be having issues with them this soon.

I just drove home, just a mile or so before getting home I hear a loud thump every time I press my brake pedal from rear of my car. It literally sounds like somebody hitting a drum with a stick.

Then as I was around the corner from home I hear a scraping sound. I checked rear disc and it looks as though it has a small score but not enough to cause any harm so I will not drive it until it is fixed. It wasn't scored previously, The pads/discs and calipers were only changed a few weeks ago.

Earlier today someone was messing with the caliper return spring as handbrake felt slack, after messing with spring handbrake felt good holding on 3 clicks instead of 6.
I assume whatever the issue is now is a result of the caliper return spring ?
Take it to reputable mechanic to sort out. There is no sense in messing around with brakes. It's very difficult for a mechanic to advise by messages because with brakes, and steering, there are many variables and a lot of being a good mechanic is about looking and sensing, using our eyes, nose, ears to see a complete image of a problem. So not being able to do this puts us at a disadvantage. Go to a mechanic now, get the job done properly before you get into serious trouble. Good luck.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back