Throttle bodies - why fit them

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What are the advantages of throttle bodies? When should you look to upgrading to them and what effect does this have on the car?

I'd only use them if I wanted a high revving car. For example, the k series engines power is way up the rev band. Most remaps for them set the limiter at around 7500 rpm. So throttle bodies in this situation will be of Great benefit.

All petrols have throttle bodies (bar BMW's Valvetronic 4 cylinder petrols which uses variable valve lift to control air intake), In general it's one per engine or one per cylinder bank. What you're all talking about is separate throttle bodies, one per cylinder. They take some effort to maintain balance between cylinders so personally I'd no bother.

All petrols have throttle bodies (bar BMW's Valvetronic 4 cylinder petrols which uses variable valve lift to control air intake), In general it's one per engine or one per cylinder bank. What you're all talking about is separate throttle bodies, one per cylinder. They take some effort to maintain balance between cylinders so personally I'd no bother.

Why would they be difficult to balance? we're not talking about carbs here.

But even carbs aren't difficult to balance with the right knowledge and equipment. Cut my teeth on DCOEs and DHLAs.

Everthing has to be easy these days. If there is the slightest risk of having to put in a little effort people run a mile.

Last edited:
Try balancing the throttle plates on a pair of SUs mounted on a BL O-Series 2.0 unit and you'll know what I mean.

Anyway, why would anyone want carbs when EFi is so much better, simpler and more reliable??

Try balancing the throttle plates on a pair of SUs mounted on a BL O-Series 2.0 unit and you'll know what I mean.

Anyway, why would anyone want carbs when EFi is so much better, simpler and more reliable??

Because they are more fun to play with, can sound much better on certain engines and are old school which a lot of people prefer.

Only a pair? when playing with DCOEs I was trying to balance 4 carbs :)

Because they are more fun to play with, can sound much better on certain engines and are old school which a lot of people prefer.

Only a pair? when playing with DCOEs I was trying to balance 4 carbs :)

Weber DCOEs are far better pieces of machinery than SU/Stromberg/Zenith variable venturi carbs, Not for me now though. I like multipoint EFi and it's maintenance free diveability

For the daily runaround, couldn't agree more.

For my purposes I want the everyday driver to be pleasant and involving thus negating the need for a weekend special. Not sure the Passat I have actually fulfils, that but it's lively enough and handles well on Michelin Primacy 3 rubber.

When it's working that is :-(