Thoughts on BMW e46

Car
Passat B5 1.9 TDI
So guys i wanna open up a discussion on e46 bmw's.Please share your opinions here.I don't know what to say about the e46 myself,only thing i know is bmw's scare me a bit as i have seen one too many crashed bmw's most probably driver's fault but i dont know.

Some 3 series drivers are immune to brain activity.
HAHA HDi fun seriously i couldn't agree with you more,however lot of people say they are very expensive to maintain,just from the start you'd probably have to replace oil breather with a vortex breather,problem with turbos,nonetheless does it really do like 5-6l/100km even if its 135-150hp and up to how much kilometers can it last considering only there is no e46 under 160 000 kms??

I disagree about costs of BMW maintenance. I ran an E39 528i Steptronic Auto for 4 years (74,000 to 163,000 miles), so over 140,000km and the maintenance required was negligible and very very good value. BMW parts are far cheaper than VW parts and the cars are far easier to work on therefore the labour costs are much lower.

Don't worry about 160,000km on the six cylinder engines - they will run that three times over with nothing more than routine servicing.

I used to need about 7-8 litres per 100km so therefore a manual 3 series should be better than that.

Yeah but i was talking about the diesel one 320d so 5-6l are reasonable even for 135 or 150 hp amazing really,my passat is 110hp and does 6-7 l open and 8-9 city talk about crappy engine.

Get the diesel - it's nice. It's an early generation common rail engine. Smoother than VW's pumpe duse engines.

The VW PD engines are a bit industrial. Loads of torque in a very narrow rev range. They are fun to drive if you're in the mood frame of mind to drive 'em.

BMW's first 4 cylinder diesel 320d was head to head with PSA's 2.2 HDi for refinement.

If anything the Peugeot 2.2 was sweeter and quicker. Remap either and you'd have a punchy 4 cylinder diesel car

Lol yeah my passat has so much torque its rather uncomfortable drive 310n/m vs bmw 320d 280n/m while having 25 more hp which is amazing, however even on wikipedia it says they are vulnerable to oil clotting which if not discovered on time leads to a new engine job which I cannot afford and turbo problems.

I had a Nissan Primera for 7 years. Bulletproof reliability plus outstanding handling & roadholding. Not the prettiest of cars tho.