This irks me as well

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
Muppets that hang all sorts of rubbish from their rear view mirrors along with the idiots that install sat navs in places that block their forward vision
.FWIW the recommended spot is as low as possible in the bottom RH or LH corner of the screen depending on where the driver sits.

People that stick naff body kits to there cars, which colour doesn't even match!
And they think that they have "improved " the look of the car .To my aging eyes most body kits on mainly ricer cars are just plain ugly.

Muppets that hang all sorts of rubbish from their rear view mirrors along with the idiots that install sat navs in places that block their forward vision
.FWIW the recommended spot is as low as possible in the bottom RH or LH corner of the screen depending on where the driver sits.

I Hate anything hanging off my mirror.
So yes they are muppets in my opinion too!

I have my Satnav low as possible in the middle of the screen. In that position it only blocks my view of the front left corner of the engine lid.

I use my phone which has a loud voice, telling me which route to take and guides me step by step. I never need to look at it!

Yeah - mine does the SN GPS thing too but I do prefer the dedicated Garmin satnav simply because it holds the entire UK rather than having to rely upon mobile IP to pick up maps as it goes.

I generally turn off the voice cos Garmin's road name pronunciation is abysmal. I have English Emily at the moment. TBH I find French Agathe better to listen too.

But I only glance at the screen briefly on approach to junctions.

I've seen some folk stare at the screen with it positioned right in their sight line.

How moronic is that?

Badly positioned satnavs can block/prevent the driver?? seeing a pedestrian,motorcycle and just maybe council bus at times. Like most things used correctly they are great and if not can be dam dangerous just like mobile phones.
Like HDi I listen to the female voice and only need to glance at the screen briefly if I am in unfamiliar territory and approaching a major intersection.

I have my Navman set to sound a warning if I exceed the posted limit by 5k's.

Last edited:
I turn off the overspeed warnings - mine is not programmable so stray 1mph over and it alerts me.

I'm pretty observant of speed limits - don't exceed them in built up areas at all in fact, more often I'm well below.

There's an anecdote about someone who was involved in a single vehicle RTC. Left the road on a bend. He claimed it was the Satnav's fault cos the bend didn't look as tightly radiussed on the screen as it was in reality!!!!! THAT IRKS ME - very worrying

I made a mount so I can simply slot it on to the dashboard so it's not blocking any of my windscreen

Once your route's planned in the satnav doesn't tend to need to look at the sky tbh, at least my TomTom doesn't. We've been several places with the wife sat with it on her knee as navigator. lol