Thinking vs facts when it comes to driving skill.

yeah i think im a great driver, deep down however i know im not. over the years there have been some near misses that werent allways somebody elses fault

We've all made mistakes and got away with it. So long as we learn from these then there is no problem.

The worst kind of driver is one whose confidence increases over time but whose ability doesn't. They perceive their ability to be better than it actually is and as such are the least likely to seek additional training or tuition.

I'm an enthusiastic driver.
I like to be smooth and swift.
I can be a bit OTT at times BUT I do know my own limits and won't ever stray over that limit on public roads. It's just not worth the risk.

I'm an enthusiastic driver, I know my own limits but occasionally get over-enthusiastic and my limits sneak up on me and wake me up - I make a mental note "not to do that again". The cycle repeats.

My mates named this situation where your beyond your limit but don't have a crash as an "oh s*** moment". They're quite exhilarating but I wouldn't recommend them as a pass-time. Friends of mine have proven they can quickly escalate into a crash.

Last edited:
I know im not the best driver, but im alright compared to many on the roads, i do go through cycles of confidence though, usually being brought down to earth by forgetting how slow my vehicle actually is, and that the half mile straight isnt actually enough to overtake that 50cc moped...

...good god i need a better car.:embarrest:

There is only one answer to this and it'll be when it's too late and you have exceeded your mental perception of what you thought it was!

To true I had a close call because I was driving beyond my means:$
And this gave me a rude awakening that completely changed my driving style and made me a better driver for it;)

We've all done it. Like I said in a previous post if we learn from minor mistakes then there's no harm done.

I'm a great advocate of the principle of brake - gear - steer separation. Brake and gear overlap is unavoidable at times unless we were all to drive about in 3rd gear at 44mph precisely. Clearly this is unrealistic.

In more pressing situations, where a developing road situation requires more than cursory input, I like the brake straight and steer late approach.

I think you have misinterpreted what I said as some have already found their limit and had close calls or something that has made them wake up and change their ways. That was what I was pertaining to and not as you may have thought was too late and damage done. I myself have had a couple of 'oh #!#!#!#!' moments and thought better of it next time around. Someone who has done nothing wrong has done nothing.

I think you have misinterpreted what I said as some have already found their limit and had close calls or something that has made them wake up and change their ways. That was what I was pertaining to and not as you may have thought was too late and damage done. I myself have had a couple of 'oh #!#!#!#!' moments and thought better of it next time around. Someone who has done nothing wrong has done nothing.

No, I don't think I did misinterpret it at all. I think I crafted my response rather weakly and as such please do accept my apology.

I always try to brake in a straight line, my car really really doesn't like braking while cornering, infact it's braking is a little too biased to the rear and if you brake late in the corner it will bite just like any Peugeot of that era (205, 306, 405, 106 and various Citorens) for have to be careful as I have bent a rear axle while driving like a tit, but I've done so since.
I have spun my car while it was snowing and brake a bit too late while not going too fast and the car spun around, fortunately there were no other cars about (it's was quite early in the morning) and I didn't hit anything. It was rather weired as it happend in slow motion and it didn't really scare me at all, infact I thought it was quite funny, but really I wouldn't do it again because I know next time I'm bound to hit someone....

All in all I like to drive quickly/spirited but I think there is a time and a place, along an empty back road definately, along a deserted motorway, sometimes but not always wise, around a pedestrianised area (housing estate, rural areas etc) then NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS!!! What if someone steps off the pavement and you're going too fast to slow down/stop?..... I wouldn't want to live with the guilt.....

No apology needed :blink1:

As for slow motion stuff in the snow...............oh yes but also is quite unnerving when you know something is going to happen many seconds before it does! Like when I was on a mini round-a-bout last January in the snow, I was already on said r-a-b ready to enter a petrol station forecourt and could see a pug coming up to the junction from the road adjacent. I knew it was going too fast in the snow to bring it to a halt and told the wife, hang on love he's going to hit us! I tried to accelerate in order for him to pass my rear quarter, but two and a quarter tons of Landy don't really accelerate do they! :confused:

The wife also drove into the kerb at about 5mph, no steering, black ice and bang! Sometimes we do get caught out, as did my daughter in her MGF, soon realised that going too quickly in the wet mixed with big white lines do not really mix. A lesson learnt and each better because of it.

of course I know my limit.... but the point is to sometimes go over it, cause that is racing, but it has to be on some deserted mountain road :bigsmile:
had a few mistakes, but the man has to learn, and gotta away few times just by pure luck
the worst drivers are those who think they can drive!

Snow can be great for doing slow motion stuff. I don't advocate it on the road but you can do a spectacular H|B turn at 4mph or less in such conditions.

Its great up here. There is a couple big bits of Tarmack that are great for it (an no Old Git or Glabus they are not car parks). Had a lot of fun in my Mazda and cant wate to get me Evo on there this year and get some 4 wheel drifts in!! :D:D:D

Of course I am a brilliant driver:p
Does everyone
All males are that is until they find out that their estimation of their skills is completely unfounded:bigsmile:
On a Police skidpan course some years ago the Instructor, quite rightly; stated that you can slag a mans' clothes, demean his wife and family but woebetide you if you dare to criticise his car or his driving.
Who might have come alongside a Porche or other fast/sporty car and, seeing who the driver has thought Ill show them what driving is??
Have you been overtaken, quite legally and safely by someone and decided that if they want to race.....??
I DO hope that all of us here resist these urges.
Bigbadjoe has mentioned tarmac where he has had fun.
If the situation is safe then you go for it boy!
If it isnt safe...................
I come back to my opinion that getting a licence for life without needing to have further training throughout that life is silly.
(I wonder IF the urban myth that the reason for the lifetime one was because some idiot wrongly programmed the DVLCs computer and rather than do an expensive rewrite/boot they found the simplest way was to issue the lifetime ticket??:confused::confused:
I guess that I DO believe I am better than I actually am. Just maybe I am better than I think:amazed:think they are a better driver than they really are? Discuss.