Thinking of buying a stilo, any common problems?

bigdavesphinx

hi all, i'm thinking of buying a fiat stilo which seem quite cheap at the moment, probably a 2003 1.6 16v with low mileage, just wondering if theres anything i should be on the lookout for such as common problems or giveaways that there could be a problem. Any info at all is greatly appreciated.

also, can anyone comment on fuel economy?

Electrics, engine warning lights and airbag warning lights are all I've heard people complain about.

If the car has had a dealer history then a lot of these faults will have been addressed. Make sure all the warning lights come on (sometimes sellers remove the warning bulbs).

MPG wise its pretty good at high 30's around 37/39 for mixed driving. (again this varies a lot dependin on how you drive it.)

thanks for the reply waynne, how would i check the lights are working? do they turn on when ignition key is in and then turn off etc. Also if the electrics issues do come up again how hard is it to sort them out ie, would i be forking out alot of money.

i've seen an 05 plate xbox edition, 28k mileage 1.6litre for £3,700 does this seem like a good price?

Yes, When the ignition starts up all the dash lights show. Check the oil,engine,ABS and other major ones. Not all the bulbs are used in all the models but as long as the main ones come on your should be ok.

Electrics can be hard to track down but it varies a lot. I've heard of people sorting them out for £20 and then others have had to spend £200 upwards on other faults.

Generally speaking if the car has been serviced regularly by a main dealer you should be ok. Neglected cars tend to have faults saved up for the new owner to fix.;)

Sounds good to me. Does it come with an XBOX?:D

lol on the site where the xbox edition i advertised, it says it comes with an xbox, but i dont think this car comes with one, although i'll make sure i ask the seller if i do got for it!

thanks for the answers mate, appreciate it

Depends a lot of the car...mostly what the guys are telling you is true...as long as the main bulbs com up...you should be ok...
when you take it...make shure to look at all the car...i took it without a horne,and the right mirror was a little broken...
fixed for 50 euro...
FIAT

F--Fix
I--It
A--Another
T--Time...

the engines are a bit weak. as jamafat said gaskets do go but thats only from bad tuners, and people who drive like jam rolls and at high milage they are brilliant looking cars though.

Depends a lot of the car...mostly what the guys are telling you is true...as long as the main bulbs com up...you should be ok...
when you take it...make shure to look at all the car...i took it without a horne,and the right mirror was a little broken...
fixed for 50 euro...
FIAT

F--Fix
I--It
A--Another
T--Time...

When I ran a little Punto for a while was told Fix It Again Tomorrow, which wasn't far off!

You might be lucky, but be prepared for some niggles. Personally I would steer clear but what do I know, I run two MGs and a Land Rover! :lol: