thinking about getting a Silvia s15 what mods should I do? list from first to last mod...

synchrospeed

Car
Silvia S15
hello all as you can see the title of my post is.... I been thinking a lot about this topic and i am new to the turbo car game.. I don't want crazy power but I'm looking at 300 to 350 bhp. maybe more who knows lol.

A Disco Potato Garrett Turbo, OR a GTX3071R ,front mount IC and a turbo back 3 inch exhaust plus a dyno tune and boost increase to 20 psi should do the job easy.
IMO if you intend to seek more power in the future then buy the 71 as it will be up to even more power when the 300HP begins to feel slow and trust me that will happen ;) :)

Hi and welcome.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) there is no such thing as a standard first to last modifying list. This is a list you have to make yourself and it will constantly change.

Keep us posted with your thoughts, I'd recommend you start a project thread so we and other S15 owners can follow your progress and learn as you go.

RB26 conversion will start you at 320hp standard and I think it's quite a common swap so tried and tested. Upping the SR20 engine will require turbo, FMIC, injectors, fuel delivery, 3bar FPR, and lots more I should think. Whichever way you go brakes, suspension and clutch will need upgrading also.
JDM Garage here in the UK have just built supercharged V8 S15 for competition drifting. Awesome noise
Keep us posted

whilst i have been known to suggest rb26 swops in almost anything , with an s15 it is a tried and proven option.
If you have any notions for 400bhp you will want more later (please dont say you wont ) the rb26 swop givs you that without stress
You will need a piggy back ecu like a power fc anyway but other than that the swop is surprising straightforward.
You will need to sort sensible induction and exhaust but this and the power Fc will give you for sure 400bhp without any engine mods. Andit should be vey reliable as that power is a walk in the park for a stock RB26 engine and a bonus is thatall the stock pumps etc will be up to the task.

Coilovers and brakes. Always first! If your car isn't quick in a straight line, it can be around bends.
Plus doing so will open up more power as you would have already done an important factor to support the power.

How much weight does the RB put over the front end/change the weight F to R balance and will the rear end need changing over to RB transmission to handle the increased Power and torque ?

This is my dream next car and am constantly wanting to increase my knowledge.

Last edited:
the SR20DET is starting to get up towards crazy cost wise and reliability wise when you are talking 350hp, where as the RB, 350hp is mainly a case of a slightly bigger turbo setup and good tune.
here in Australia a popular " mashup" is the RB25 DOHC head on the slightly earlier 3L RB30 block that came out in late '80s - early '90s Skyline and VL Holden Commodore, giving a fair bit more torque from bottom end with the performance of the twin cam head, not uncommon for 650-700hp+ from built and tuned motors.
Not too sure on the S15 but earlier models were able to swap hubs, calipers, rotors etc with skylines giving the benefit of 5 stud wheels, and cheaper cost bigger brake upgrades.