Things all drivers should be able to do

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I think the following are things that all drivers should be able to do before they get their licence.

Change a wheel,
Top up the oil,
Check tyre pressures.​

Can you think of any others. Do you think this should be part of the test or part of a compulsory training course?

That's what prompted me to start this thread as I thought it would be an interesting discussion and debate.

Obi that was the fastest reply ever so may take that as a compliment |B
How to check to see if there are no faulty lights/blown globes/bulbs which I do on a regular basis simply by trying them all to see the reflections on the walls etc BEFORE I open the garage door |B

Last edited:
You just caught me whilst I was on.

I actually have a very sore throat and no voice at all for the first time in my life. My wife is enjoying the peace and quiet but I'm probably typing a lot more at the moment.

I think the following are things that all drivers should be able to do before they get their licence.
Learn to park.
Check the tyre tread.
Check the oil is OK as it is being topped up.
Change the light bulbs.
Fill up the fuel tank (yes I've see young drivers at the pump asking how to do it).

After today I wish to add my observations.

All drivers should be able to
Maintain a safe distance from the car in front
See other cars on the main road instead of pulling out on them
Use indicators
I think I'm hoping for too much here! ;)

Understand that an AMBER light is the start of the RED cycle and that means STOP not go faster because you are late or can't be bothered stopping.

GREEN light means GO IF IT IS SAFE TO PROCEED so check both ways as there may be a red light runner.

That the increased speed limit only applies AFTER you pass it and not when you see it in the distance and be at or slightly slower to the reduced speed as you drive past the sign.

and the slower limit starts IMMEDIATELY you pass the sign so you need to slow down before the sign.

That a STOP sign means exactly that and not slow to a walking speed and roll on thru it.

I think a number of those suggestions are to be introduced into future driving tests in the UK.

They've already added the reverse parking into a space I believe, in favour of the reversing round a corner manoeuvre, which in fairness isn't used all that much

I think the test should be longer, to give a more rounded out assessment. A short test is often a matter of luck and what you encounter whilst taking it.

It's much shorter in the UK, 40 minutes of driving plus some safety questions and eyesight test.

The reason it was so long here was that they wanted to see if the way you were driving was the way you drove every day as the longer test would eventually bring to light any bad habits or techniques.
The also conducted the test on the other side of town away from familiar roads and traffic.

Be able to safely jump start your car / use jumper cables.

Parallel park on 1st try or move on...

If you drive stick shift, start on a hill

Safely Drive in the rain/snow (or stay home...)

Further to my comment about learning to park....
Today, on my lunchtime ramble around town I saw a traffic warden taking photos and issue a ticket on a car that had been parked where it shouldn't have been; double yellow lines.
About 10 feet away a large van was slowly reverse parking onto the same set of double yellow lines.
The traffic warden has finished their thing and has seen the van. He just stands there, waiting to see if the van driver sees him.
The chap driving the van does not. He gets out, locks up and walks away.
By this time I'm giggling like a schoolboy high on glue for the first time as the traffic warden gets his camera out and starts taking pictures. He waits a few minutes (as one is allowed to stop on double yellows if one is loading/unloading and not causing an obstruction, and this being a van that could be the case) and when it is clear the van driver is not coming back he promptly issues a ticket.

.... The things all drivers should be able to do? Be aware of your surroundings :rofl:

Just want to add one thing;

- Open their cars bonet.

My step brother who considers himself a car enthuisast or "CarManiac" didn't know how to open the bonet......

Know the road rules and obey them Simpules:)

For those who don't know the last bit comes from TV adds with Meercats