The worst tyre you have driven on.

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
Way back Michelin X tyres were loved by taxi drivers so silly me decided to buy a set for my sedan and after having removed worn Dunlop aquajet tyres i came unstuck at a slower speed in the same corner than the worn Dunlops which had a easy slow break away loss of grip. The grip level in the same corner on Michelins went away faster than turning on a light switch and it took experience to know when that was about to happen as there was absolutely no warning as to when or which end was about to let go .V( .

Dunlop here in the top right hand corner https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/tyres/670-15/185x15-dunlop-sp-sport-aquajet.html

Michelin X here with the saw tooth centre ribs https://www.google.com.au/search?q=early+michelin+x++tyres+pics&sxsrf=ALeKk03tsUA5JSyApfkwiPFC_O5TNY1vog:1582870278669&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=sPOYQsVdY8WPKM%3A%2CCZFT1kqUu_yqLM%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kQgw0agCzaBZED1FqILzZWWUnbZ1A&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiB172ly_PnAhVPWX0KHQcQA6EQ9QEwAnoECAoQCQ#imgrc=EYtFbtavAg6BRM

Last edited:
Give the Michelins a little time to break the factory surface, I do find the quality brands need a few 100 miles to bed in properly.

For me I found that the Pirelli P6000's were rubbish. The tread pattern totally clogged up in mud, the car was sliding all over the place. The handling was just terrible and doing the same rough driveway with mud and stones, the car just couldn't make it after I had the P6000's fitted, my old Nankangs never had a problem.

They were the first set of Tyre I ditched before I had worn them out.

The Pzero Rossas from Pirelli are totally different and fantastic tyres, so I do believe that the tread pattern and overall surface design makes a massive difference to handling.

I bought some cheap remolded tyres.

They made a terrible buzzing noise as they rolled along so I sold them on ebay and got more than I paid for them.

Someone was happy they got a set of brand new remolds, until they had them fitted.

I might add that those tyres I named were most likely produced before most of the people here were born as they were some of the first if not the first radial ply tyres marketed.

Obi it is the tread compound which governs the level of grip available from any tyre and is probably more important than the tread design which is there to displace water for road cars to help prevent aquaplaning BUT the tread pattern becomes more important when going off road or in wet conditions.

Last edited:
Toyo Tire Proxes TPT were the worst tyres I've owned. Poor in dry and wet pavement. Poor steering response. I replaced them with ContiSportContact2. Bought them from 4wheelonline. These tyres have awesome grip. Quiet and predictable in all conditions.

I'd also add that different cars are suited to different tyre styles and compounds and a tyre that completely failed on one car could turn out to be one of the best on another.

I must say that when I drove on the Michelins almost all of you were still in nappies or short pants ;) :lol:

Last edited: